Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recall Frame 09 10 11

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 12:17 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by spizzyman
Hell, I can take the bike down to the frame. It's the gettin it back together that scares me. LOL.

spiz
lmao! I should have qualified that I've also put them back together...

It only seems daunting until you've done it. Kind of like moving a door or window in your house. Once you do it a couple of times, you start realizing that it's just nuts and bolts, or boards and nails.

Shoot spizz, you're only a couple hours ride from my house... give me a call and I'll help you strip your bike down the next time you you get bored and start looking for a project.

Last edited by Mike; 10-18-2010 at 12:20 AM.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:35 AM
greglal
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that the 09 touring frame is obsolete, if you try to buy one the part# comes up discontinued and replaced with an 10 frame part#. I have no idea what the difference is.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:47 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 102 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by trackadaptor
leohd; The Tank is bolted to the Frame...no matter how you look at it , it was a Frame up grade.....unless you can explain to me diffrent without the name calling....

I have a 2009 and had the tank mount Recall done...I still feel it was because the frame was week in that one area and was wondering what 2010 2011 frames looked like in that area...

Just got this link..2009 = 2010 had the recall..http://thekneeslider.com/archives/20...nits-affected/

So what do the 2011 "Tank" Frame area look like ?

For you 2011 folks got a picture you could share ?

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/20...nits-affected/

The front fuel tank mounts may distort in reaction to severe frame damage from a frontal collision. This condition may cause a fuel leak at the weld of the front bracket to the tunnel. A fuel leak in the presence of an ignition source may result in a fire, which could lead to injury or death to the rider.
Nothing to do with the frame...It was the tabs on the fuel tank mount...The sky isn't falling.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:58 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by greglal
I know that the 09 touring frame is obsolete, if you try to buy one the part# comes up discontinued and replaced with an 10 frame part#. I have no idea what the difference is.
Sometimes a HD part is made obsolete for reasons that have nothing to do with the part itself. I called HD CS in Milwaukee last week with a question regarding a Touring seat xxxxx-09A (active) vs. xxxxx-09 (obsolete) and the CS rep couldn't find anything explaining the differences between the 2. They gave me a case # and someone called me back a few hours later (very nice of them to follow-up), telling me that the xxxxx-09A was simply because they changed suppliers for the seat, but it's exactly the same.

Old 10-18-2010, 12:03 PM
cdale976
Road Master

call hd vin # tells them build date and if you need the upgrade. my flhtk was built 3/06/10 weld was changed IN tank to satify the gov't highway safety folks.
Yeah I take the word from the MOCO on this.
Ride

Old 10-18-2010, 12:10 PM
widowmaker221
Cruiser

The recall states it is due to the mounts on the fuel tank may rupture in a severe front end colision, guess what this can happen to any bike!

Old 10-18-2010, 12:22 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by widowmaker221
The recall states it is due to the mounts on the fuel tank may rupture in a severe front end colision, guess what this can happen to any bike!
If I'm involved in a severe front end collision with my Ultra, I can tell you that the tank mounting tabs will be the least of my concerns.

Old 10-18-2010, 12:27 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,834 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by leicafish

WFT read the past posts, sooner or later he will the the Harley Davidson area 51 conspiracy, until we have to read the frame troll posts.
lol. As funny as that sounds, I was around for that thread and took the time to go back and re-read it again.
What I found this time was the same as last time. A bunch of guys giving a guy with a "HD problem" a bunch of crap.
Obviously those with little faith in HD are ALWAYS bashed on this site. Nothing new. Yawn...

Regardless, the point was that Mr. Name Caller had no real right to bust up on the guy in THIS thread over something that happened months ago. Seems to me the OP was asking a legit question.

What is "WFT"?

lp

Last edited by lp; 10-18-2010 at 12:50 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:44 PM
TexasDwight
Advanced

[/quote]

What is "WFT"?

lp[/quote]

My ole lady always told me chit like the above happens when my 2 finger brain is thinking faster than me typing with one finger

Old 10-18-2010, 01:54 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by trackadaptor
The Tank is bolted to the Frame...no matter how you look at it , it was a Frame up grade....I still feel it was because the frame was week in that one area
How the hell can anyone defend such an ignorant statement, especially when he quotes the recall notice that plainly states it only involves the tank tabs?

Quick Reply: Recall Frame 09 10 11