Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring Stabilizer????

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 11:49 PM
Jeff595
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Touring Stabilizer????

I recently made the move from Softails to a still being modified Ultra. I was looking at parts for my new ride and I keep coming across these "Touring Stabilizers". Is this something I should invest in right away, or is there a problem with the handling on the big bikes that I should worry about?

Old 10-15-2010, 12:46 AM
oldbiker771
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It depends on the year of your bike. All (many?) prior to the new frame, (09 if memory serves) have a problem with the rear end wagging when you hit a bump in a turn. The swingarm pivots in the rear of the xmsn case, which is also the rear engine mounts. The waggle can be quite violent. Many companies make devices to counter this. Most have a bracket on the xmsn, and another on the frame, usually the dogbone or right pivot cover, with an arm connecting them laterally. This allows the suspension to work normally, while restricting the sideways movement responsible for the waggle. I use this one: http://www.throttleupindustries.com/...tabilizer.html
There are many. Some report the newer frames are better, but not perfect. If you are not noticing anything abnormal, it could not be a problem for you. Not everyone reports feeling the waggle.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:59 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

The dreaded bagger wobble happens when you upset the rear suspension during a fast, sweeping turn. The sideways loading on the swingarm turns the up and down motion of the swingarm into an oscillating movement. Better swingarm bushings and a pivot brace can go a long way to taming the wobble. This is a common upgrade for the 2008 and older touring bikes. It's not needed in the 2009 and newer bikes.

Last edited by Mike; 10-15-2010 at 01:03 AM.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:42 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Let me correct things here chaps! On all rubber-mount Harleys the swingarm is mounted directly on the rear of the transmission case. The engine/transmission/swingarm/rear wheel assembly is installed via rubber mounts in the frame. That entire assembly can move around a little on the rubber. 09 and later bikes have an improved system, but the same principle applies.

The swingarm axle passes through the transmission casing, swingarm and rear rubber mounts. To stabilize the assembly, Harley use stabilizer links at the front of the engine and between the heads. All Buells and recent Sportsters have a third stabilizer close to the swingarm. IMHO Harley should fit one on every rubber-mount model.

The touring stabilizers you refer to add that third stabilizer and provide support to the rear rubber mounts, improving the overall riding experience and handling, especially on poor roads and fast bends. They are highly recommended by those of us who have them! There are at least a dozen brands, all claiming to do the same thing, but HDF sponsor True-Track has been producing them longest and makes them for the widest range of models.

Early rubber-mounts had cleve block swingarm bushings that were also flexible, but they haven't been fitted by Harley for many years. There are solid replacements available that will improve handling on those bikes.

Last edited by grbrown; 10-15-2010 at 03:46 AM. Reason: Expanded.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:00 AM
JC Turbo
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2010 Limited will wiggle in a turn if I hit a bump or a hard dip in the road. Its a little scary when it does it at highway speeds.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:05 AM
electra glide
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard of guys having luck w/ these new bushings by Sta-Bo, supposedly decreasing the wobble, don't know. It is cheaper than the stabilizers.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:01 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by JC Turbo
My 2010 Limited will wiggle in a turn if I hit a bump or a hard dip in the road. Its a little scary when it does it at highway speeds.
Assuming everything on it is in correct adjustment (which it should be being so new!) True-Track do a handling kit for you.

When Erik Buell designed the system of rubber mounts Harley uses he intended there should be three stabilizer links, one each close to the front and rear rubber mounts and another at the cylinder heads. That system is used on all Buells and current Sportsters, but Harley has never done the decent thing and fitted them to the other rubber-mount models. Doesn't make sense, but the way ahead is there!

All three of my bikes have three stabilizers - its the only way to travel!

Old 10-15-2010, 11:32 AM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Myy wife bought me a Bagger Brace, so I put it on. Very pleased with the performance, and didn't cost me anything I can tell a difference in high speed sweepers, and my bike is an 08.