Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding Sunglasses

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 02:24 AM
MSgt Rose
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I personally wear tinted safety glasses from NAPA auto parts. The frame I like is the diamond back frame and they have several colors and shades of lenses. In my opinion they are quality glasses and I have never noticed any visual distortion from the lenses. I also feel a little more comfort in the fact that they are safety glasses and might offer a little protection from highway debris or rocks. The last time I bought a pair, I believe the price was less than $8 bucks, so if you get a scratch, just go buy a new pair.

Old 10-17-2010, 08:46 AM
Nabubba
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cme2c
New to the forum and this thread "caught my eye" since I have been an optometrist for about 30 years now. There are a lot of misconceptions about eyewear and lenses. For motorcycling, ALWAYS use polycarbonate lenses as they are as close to unbreakable as is available. Tint type is strictly a matter of personal preference but generally speaking the light changing lenses do not get quite as dark as a dark sunglass lens but work pretty well in most instances. If you get "Transitions" brand changable tint, you should not notice any major reduction in their tinting ability for several years (this IS a problem with the older &/or cheaper brands of tint). The only advantage to polarized lenses is they reduce reflections off a flat horizontal surface (such as a lake when boating, etc). This can be a safety concern when cycling as it reduces the sheen of a slippery spot in the road and makes it more difficult to pick out. I NEVER recommend polarized lenses for motorcyclists for this reason. They can also, in some cases, reduce visibilty of LCD screens and through windshields as mentioned previously. Most of the major brand names of sunglasses will offer a style that is comfortable and will serve your needs, again its just a personal preference. Most of what they tell you about their "exclusive features" are marketing hype and are available in many different product lines. If you have comfort issues when wearing a helmet, a professional optician or optometrist should be able to adjust your eyewear to fit comfortably under your helmet.

Good information there. And welcome to the forum.

Old 10-17-2010, 10:06 AM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

If you want quality and great service and a good price, this place is excellent.

I have these for bi-focal perscriptions and they are great.

http://www.adseyewear.com/Panoptx-/-...ptx-7-eye.html

Old 10-17-2010, 11:36 AM
Marine Trader
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

squint

Old 10-17-2010, 12:30 PM
Troubleman
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

New to the forum and this thread "caught my eye" since I have been an optometrist for about 30 years now. There are a lot of misconceptions about eyewear and lenses. For motorcycling, ALWAYS use polycarbonate lenses as they are as close to unbreakable as is available. Tint type is strictly a matter of personal preference but generally speaking the light changing lenses do not get quite as dark as a dark sunglass lens but work pretty well in most instances. If you get "Transitions" brand changable tint, you should not notice any major reduction in their tinting ability for several years (this IS a problem with the older &/or cheaper brands of tint). The only advantage to polarized lenses is they reduce reflections off a flat horizontal surface (such as a lake when boating, etc). This can be a safety concern when cycling as it reduces the sheen of a slippery spot in the road and makes it more difficult to pick out. I NEVER recommend polarized lenses for motorcyclists for this reason. They can also, in some cases, reduce visibilty of LCD screens and through windshields as mentioned previously. Most of the major brand names of sunglasses will offer a style that is comfortable and will serve your needs, again its just a personal preference. Most of what they tell you about their "exclusive features" are marketing hype and are available in many different product lines. If you have comfort issues when wearing a helmet, a professional optician or optometrist should be able to adjust your eyewear to fit comfortably under your helmet.
Now this is good information. I use non polarized Wiley-X's and love them. Company issue clear safety glasses at night.

Old 10-17-2010, 01:19 PM
Red.Road.Glide
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Outstanding Post! Being a retired Marine and still a Gov't employee that deployees, EyePro is constantly being preached. All eyewear for deploying military personnel should exceed US Government ANSI Z87.1 standards for impact resistance, optical clarity and UV protection; as well as meet Mil Spec Standard, MIL-PRF-31013, for ballistic protection. Honestly, what's the difference between a piece of IED shrapnel and debris flying at your eyes on the highway at 80 mph; nothing! People will spend tens of thousands on Harleys and go cheap on helmets and eyepro. Many companies hit these requirements (Oakely, Wiley-x, ESS, etc), so there are plenty of options.

I have several sets of Wiley-X's and they are OK for me; many people really like them. I always go back to my Oakely SI Ballistic M Frames 2.0's. For clarity, comfort, and field of vision, I haven't found any pair to match them or the regular M Frames yet. If you're military (including retired) or government (to include state and local), you can go to the Oakley SI website, follow the registration procedures, and buy Oakley SI Ballistic eyewear at a discount.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-17-2010, 01:44 PM
toad6301
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use Oakley "heater" style lens in my Pro-M
frames, dark iridium for the day and another
set with the YELLOW lens for night riding. I
have a cheap pair from a rally with the gasket
aroumd the inside to keep out the cold when
the ole mercury begins to head south on the
thermometer.

Old 10-17-2010, 02:23 PM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Red.Road.Glide
Outstanding Post! Being a retired Marine and still a Gov't employee that deployees, EyePro is constantly being preached. All eyewear for deploying military personnel should exceed US Government ANSI Z87.1 standards for impact resistance, optical clarity and UV protection; as well as meet Mil Spec Standard, MIL-PRF-31013, for ballistic protection. Many companies hit these requirements (Oakely, Wiley-x, ESS, etc), so there are plenty of options.

I have several sets of Wiley-X's and they are OK for me; many people really like them. I always go back to my Oakely SI Ballistic M Frames 2.0's. For clarity, comfort, and field of vision, I haven't found any pair to match them or the regular M Frames yet. If you're military (including retired) or government (to include state and local), you can go to the Oakley SI website, follow the registration procedures, and buy Oakley SI Ballistic eyewear at a discount.

Hope this helps.
Good info. So the question is; what is the difference, if any, between the polycarbonate safety lenses you can buy in bulk that meet all the OSHA standards, and the one from Oakley mentioned above? Is the term "Ballistic" just "marketing hype"? We all know the military is not above paying $200 for a $20 hammer. DISCLAIMER: Not knocking Oakley here, I know they make quality products.

Doc, time for you to wade back in here.........................

Old 10-17-2010, 02:58 PM
Red.Road.Glide
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Good question. It is my preference to wear Oakleys after trying many different brands of eyepro; much of which was bought and/or issued. Safety Glasses USA states all of the glasses they sell meet ANSI Z87.1 standards and they do discuss MIL-PRF-31013. It's my opinion eyepro is like DOT helmets; just because it meets the standard, there are still varying levels of quality.

Hope this helps.

And, if someone is eligible to use the Oakley Standard Issue website, they will pay no where near retail for their Oakleys.

Originally Posted by mike5511
Good info. So the question is; what is the difference, if any, between the polycarbonate safety lenses you can buy in bulk that meet all the OSHA standards, and the one from Oakley mentioned above? Is the term "Ballistic" just "marketing hype"? We all know the military is not above paying $200 for a $20 hammer. DISCLAIMER: Not knocking Oakley here, I know they make quality products.

Doc, time for you to wade back in here.........................

Old 10-17-2010, 03:52 PM
kdfcogwheel
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like toad6301, I use Oakley "heater" Pro-M Frame sunglasses. They completely envelope the ocular area and are great at dramatically reducing wind intrusion. The lens is rimless and the frame is not visible when worn. You also have the option of multiple lenses that are easy to change. Also of note, the lenses meet ANSI safety specs for impact protection.

Last edited by kdfcogwheel; 10-17-2010 at 04:06 PM. Reason: add verbiage

Quick Reply: Riding Sunglasses