Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding Sunglasses

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 10:35 AM
bmorebhoy
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've been wearing a pair of Wiley-X for 3 years, they're light sensitive so they darken in the sun but they definately don't darken as much as they used to. I'll try Panoptix next when I can afford them.

I find a bit of a wrap around design, the inner foam cushion and elastic headband are extremely helpful at speeds above 60 MPH.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:46 AM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Light adjusting lenses are always somewhat less effective when the lens is prescription and they're never quite as dark as sun glasses can be.
You'll have the same experience with another brand. Also, the effect lessens even more after a few years.
I also have a pair of Wiley-X that are light adjusting. I loved them for about five years but now use them for lower light riding. Either way, in my opinion Wiley-X is a top quality product.
Having a need for Rx lenses, I've had to work with their C/S department. I've never had any company work so hard to get it right. I'll never consider another brand given my experience with the company and the product.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:58 AM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemms
Hey guys...
It's been a while, but I am checking to see what you all like for good riding sunglasses...
I am looking at buying a pair of Wiley X polarized sunglasses. However, I have been told by the people at the HD dealership not to buy polarized sunglasses if you have a windshield on your bike. Blah blah blah... Is there any truth behind this? What do you guys think? What brand of sunglasses do you guys use? I am riding with a cheap pair of avaitors right now, and I want something that does a better job of keeping the wind out of my eyes...

Later...
I wouldn't have anything other than polarized.

Finding the 'right' set of sunglasses can be challenging. I have several, but wear the Oakley Flakjacket model mostly (polarized). I also have WileyX Revolvr style as well. Both very good glasses. I've heard a lot of good things about Gatorz, but have not tried any of them.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:17 AM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

LOCS- any kind of style you want and only $9.99. I buy 'em 3 at a time. have been wearing them and their goggles for years, they work great and look very cool.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:17 AM
2011FLHTK
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Brand and style are a personal choice, but I offer these tips in general:

Polarized lenses are the best. They will reduce glare from horizontal surfaces. (Make sure you have no issues with your windshield).
Avoid rimless lenses when riding in the rain. Without a top rim, the rain will run up the lenses, over the top and right into your eyes. The rim helps direct the water to the sides of the lenses.
Keep a set of yellow lenses for night riding. They really do help make things look brighter.
Use a strap that attaches to the end of the arms and goes around your neck. It wil secure them if they fall off your face, and they are very convenient if you need to take off your glasses but don't have a pocket handy or a free hand to hold them.
When you buy your glasses, try them on while wearing your helmet to make sure they will be comfortable while riding.
But most importantly, make sure the lenses are reflective or dark enough so the girls won't see you looking ;-)

Old 10-15-2010, 11:28 AM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Got my first pair of Panoptx Convertibles 9yrs ago and there still in good shape. Replaced foam eyecup once in 9yrs. Bought a new pair of Panoptx/7Eye Churada's polarized gray for Sturgis strip this year. Best most comfortable ever had.

http://www.7eye.com/products/index.php?type=motorcycle

Old 10-15-2010, 11:35 AM
slhanks4
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

I don't like polarized lenses for riding. They do distort the image some when looking through the windshield and it's even worse if you have a helmet with a faceshield.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:42 PM
Mysanity
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the Wiley X Jake (Light Adjusting) glasses. They fit like a glove and the lens transition to tint perfectly.

Attached Thumbnails Riding Sunglasses-large_ccjak08.jpg  

Last edited by Mysanity; 10-15-2010 at 12:44 PM.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:01 PM
FastGraf
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a Smith fan. Their lens technology is cutting edge. Polarized lenses that are extremely lightweight, optically correct and impact resistant. Their products are readily discounted across the web and their warranty is unbeatable. Its lifetime, you don't have to be the original owner or submit any paperwork; they don't ask any questions and if your model is older and out of production you can choose whichever current model you want to replace it. Woo hoo!

Old 10-15-2010, 01:30 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had good results over 5+ years with these guys: www.bodyspecs.com . Good quality but not as expensive as others.

Quick Reply: Riding Sunglasses