Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New vs. used, dealer vs. private party

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 09:21 PM
bcortani
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with French...I just recently got my first Harley. I researched the type of bike I wanted (very important, sucks when you think you want a dyno, buy it then ride your buddies RK and think, i like the RK better). Once you are sure of your bike choice, price with dealerships to get an idea...then hit up craigslist, not just your area, but also check areas within 200 miles (or however far you are willing to travel). I found mine 3 hrs away. 08 Softail with 2700 miles. Dealer price for same bike $18500.00, my price from seller who needed to sell $14000.00. Bike came with transferable warranty (2012) and I passed on prepaid service plan as it was married to the dealership 3 hrs away. The 3 hr ride home was incredible and a great way to get aquainted with my bike. Take your time, be picky, do not be impulsive and you will find the right bike at the right price. bcortani

Old 10-14-2010, 09:24 PM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Haven't heard about dealers selling police bikes - are these used service bikes?
Yes the police bike have seen service as Police motorcycles. Most police departments take very good care of there motorcycle, Unlike the cars , The motorcycles are asigned to one officer for life.

The only way Harley will sell a police model is to a department or to an auctual police officer.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:35 PM
legendzzz
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have looked at CL for over 2 months and like I said the bikes privately sellers are asking HIGH used pricing which I think they bought OVER THEIR HEADS ! They put down 10% and get payments of $350-$450 , Then here comes reality "OH NOOOOO" I have to pay this for 6 years and I do not ride it in the winter? Then they try to sell it on say a 2010 and owe most likely on a SG about $20K they can not sell it and now they go into default and ruin their credit because they think (not much really) a HD is OK to pay $20K for ? Well I think in the next few years you will sell less and less sales of High priced HD and selling to more affordable bikes with people who really can afford a loan, Right now I am looking for an 2006-2009 EG or a SG want to spend between $10K-$16K and I can not find one in those boundries unless it has HIGH miles or is rough> I will wait another month and then I may as wait until the spring and buy NEW ?

Old 10-14-2010, 09:46 PM
MSgt Rose
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a used 2008 Ultra with 2100 miles for what I believe was a great deal. I had a 2008 Vulcan that I was extremely upside down on but couldn't afford to keep both. The first HD dealer I went to offered me $2500 on my Vulcan that I owed close to $10K on. I figured right then and there my dreams of getting a Harley was over. However, I was persistent, and ended up going to 4 different Harley dealers and the last one put together a deal I could not refuse. They paid off my Vulcan and only increased the sales price of the Harley by $1000, so in other words I got $9K for my trade. The used Harley came with V&H monster ovals, true duals, 9/10's of the black diamond accessories package, stage 1 complete and a lot of other chrome.
While new would have been great, I am really glad that I bought used. Saved a ton of money on upgrades that I would have had to buy anyway.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:50 PM
BackRoader
Road Master
Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Got my 06 Electra Glide Standard from a retiree in Kansas City who bought it for him and his wife to take trips on. Scared the hell out of her, so the following spring she went up for sale (the bike, not the wife!). Nabbed it for about 5 grand under the price of a new one, and only had 1700 miles on her. My credit union got me in it for no down. Sweeeet! Moral of the story is: Credit unions are easier to deal with and great used bikes are out there, just be patient! Good luck and enjoy your first HD. Once you have one, you'll never go back!!

Old 10-14-2010, 09:52 PM
legendzzz
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is not bad , I went to LightHouse HD on Long Island and they had a 2007 Ultra Glide w/6K miles and they would not budge off $17K out the door was $18500. Is that good ? or even OK ?. That bike sold in 1 month, if they would have been a little Neg I would have bought it but they were firm and still sold it ? Go figuire ?

Old 10-14-2010, 10:07 PM
leanhog
Road Warrior
Default Save some $$ for the accessories & barhopping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4ehG...eature=related

Old 10-14-2010, 10:47 PM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The only way Harley will sell a police model is to a department or to an auctual police officer.[/QUOTE]

depends on dealer alot will sell brand new police bikes to private citizens FACT...best bet is buy used with the original warranty in effect and you can then with money saved buy a 5 year extended warranty which includes towing lodging food when broke down.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:18 PM
deepbluerider
Advanced

A year ago was looking for a used low mile SG.Shopped on CL and ebay also cycle trader.Found an 06 right around the corner from me.Dude bought the bike wife wouldn't ride so he wanted a weekend car.He was asking 14000 bike had 6500miles in great but close to stock cond I told him I give him 12500 cash. He laughed i left my number,he called about a week later said he found his car would i give him 13500 for his bike,I laughed.About six months later saw the bike in his garage knock on the door asked him if he would sell for 12500, he laughed and sold me the bike. Dont rush plenty of bikes to choose from.Good luck

Old 10-14-2010, 11:19 PM
onfloat
Cruiser

I just bought my first Harley, a used 2008 Road King with 3400 miles, from a dealer. I was able to purchase a 2 year warranty with it. They told me I could go to 5 years, but that was a bit more than I wanted to do at the moment. As I was looking into it also found that Harley Finance will do finance from a private seller too.

Quick Reply: New vs. used, dealer vs. private party