Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6th gear light not working

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 11:31 AM
tomtek
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6th gear light not working

My 6th gear light is not working. 2011 street glide with 160 miles on it. Is there anything I can check? Do not want to drop it off at HD and leave for, what I beleive, is a minor problem. It quit working today after I put gas in it.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:40 AM
Hog Yild
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tomtek
My 6th gear light is not working. 2011 street glide with 160 miles on it. Is there anything I can check? Do not want to drop it off at HD and leave for, what I beleive, is a minor problem. It quit working today after I put gas in it.
I'd take it to the dealer, you are under warranty, use it.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:46 AM
faapilot
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Hog Yild
I'd take it to the dealer, you are under warranty, use it.
+1 on what he said.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:49 AM
FDHOG
Stellar HDF Member
Received 240 Likes on 124 Posts

Bring it back!
I'm going in on Sat with a tranny noise at 350 miles.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:55 AM
vonzoog
Tourer

There may be a cut out switch associate with the clutch. Even when you are in 6th gear, pulling the clutch lever in will cause the the light to go out. There has to be some kind of electrical switch doing this with movement of the clutch and not a mechanical switch associate with the 6th gear itself.

If you can't fine anything, then it's to the shop under warranty. Hope this helps.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:59 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Agree w/everyone on the warranty route. Nothing to really check & it takes a good 1/2 hour to even get to the gages on your scoot. Led HD work their magic - that's what your warranty coverage is for.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:02 PM
slothy
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vonzoog
There may be a cut out switch associate with the clutch. Even when you are in 6th gear, pulling the clutch lever in will cause the the light to go out. There has to be some kind of electrical switch doing this with movement of the clutch and not a mechanical switch associate with the 6th gear itself.

If you can't fine anything, then it's to the shop under warranty. Hope this helps.

FYI - on my 11 SG if im in 6th gear and pull in clutch while moving, the light does turns off.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:04 PM
Toe Knee
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts

The clutch might be the place to look. I didn't think of that. My 6th gear light acts like a bitch in the morning when it's cold. for those who say to take it to the dealer: Been there. Done that. "can't duplicate the problem". Ya. ok.

I'll take a look around the clutch because mine is actually happening in any gear when I pull the clutch in to down shift. Only in the mornings.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:06 PM
racerdave
Cruiser

It's something in the ecm, from what my dealer told me. Mine didn't work on my 010 RG from new, or so I thought. 300 miles later I called and they said bring it in and there is something they can do with their scanner. On the way there it was working, but it seemed it was maybe the first time I wasn't riding in very bright sunlight. It's documented any way now.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:16 PM
vonzoog
Tourer

Now that racerdave mention the ECM, I would go with this. This also means you are not going to be able to do anything yourself. If it is in the ECM the dealer will have to "flash" it or something to reset it.

Just my thought.

Quick Reply: 6th gear light not working