Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD 7' Headlamp Trim Ring

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 08:33 PM
roadhog96
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 96 Road King and I have a small gap also. I have tried everthing and it's as tight as it's going to get. Stripped out the original nut, replaced it and it still has the gap, POS!

Old 10-14-2010, 09:10 PM
shadowchaser
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That gap/seam is an eyesore to me. I wish they would design a solid piece like they did for the softtails.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:14 PM
Puttnutt24
Road Warrior
Received 209 Likes on 116 Posts

I didn't like the fit of this trim ring at all. So I reinstalled my stock one. Not to high jack this thread but does anyone know of a better quality trim ring, regardless of price?

Old 10-14-2010, 09:32 PM
head
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

well,thats the deal. the touring bikes are the only ones that i have seen that fit over the existing bezel. why not make one that replaces the existing bezel? seems kinds strange to me.

head

Old 10-14-2010, 09:41 PM
Puttnutt24
Road Warrior
Received 209 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Puttnutt24
I didn't like the fit of this trim ring at all. So I reinstalled my stock one. Not to high jack this thread but does anyone know of a better quality trim ring, regardless of price?
I should have looked before opening my mouth. I just took a look in the Drag Book and HeadWinds makes a couple real nice replacement bazels between three and four hundred bucks, yippiees

Old 10-15-2010, 05:06 AM
jsciullo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
No, you should be able to completely close the gap but it might take more than one attempt before you succeed. It's a PITA.
Loosen the stock trim almost completely and position the trim ring over it. Then tighten the 2 rings alternatively, until there's not enough room between the 2 ends of the trim ring to tighten the stock trim. You can then completely close the gap by finishing to tighten the trim ring. Here is the result on my bike.

Hey, noticed your from the 'burgh. I'm a former Dormont boy myself.
Jim

Old 10-16-2010, 07:53 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by jsciullo
Hey, noticed your from the 'burgh. I'm a former Dormont boy myself.
Jim
Cool. We go to Car Hops on West Liberty Ave. (Rte 19) once in a while. "Souled Out" plays there every Friday night. Great band, if you like Steely Dan and this kind of music.

Old 10-16-2010, 08:55 AM
stewy1200c
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Pain in the A$$. I screwed with mine to get the gap closed. stripped the cheap bolt that came with it. Got a better chrome bolt and used a bar clamp. Got it closed but shame on HD for putting out P.O.S. accessories like that.

Old 10-20-2010, 05:14 AM
AK BAGGER
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haven't really seen anyone here explain how this thing is really suppose to fit. And since I just spent about half an hour figuring out the install on my bike... I figured I'd "chime in".

What you have to realize is... the factory trim ring has to be loose enough for the "aftermarket trim ring/bezel" to slide in behind it. The "aftermarket ring" has a 1/8th inch lip around the inside perimeter. That lip has to fit in behind the original chrome ring "all the way around the perimeter of the light". So... you have to loosen the original trim ring pretty loose. Once you get the new trim ring over the orginal and trace around the back perimeter to confirm the lip is seated (almost like seating the bead of a tire on the rim, or a "C-clip" on the end of the camshaft). At this point, there should be no gap at all in the new trim ring, even without the screw tightened. You should be able to clamp it shut by hand. The problem comes in when you have to open that gap to get to the factory trim-screw with a screwdriver to tighten it. When you spread it open, that means that lip is not seated all the way in behind the original trim ring. Once you've tightened the original trim ring and then try to tighten the "aftermarket" trim ring, it wont close the gap beacause it can't "seat" behind the original trim ring (cause its too tight now). So, you essentially have to leave the original trim ring just loose enough that when you tighten the "aftermarket" trim ring it can "seat the lip" behind the original trim ring and close that gap! Yeah, its a PITA, and you may have to loosen it a time or two to get the "tension" right on the inner ring.

Old 10-20-2010, 05:52 AM
jsciullo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all your input. I almost have it all the way closed but screw it. I'm close to stripping out the screw and don't want to deal with that. I called the dealer about it and he said "let me guess, it's a Road King". I guess there is something different but I can't imagine what.

Quick Reply: HD 7' Headlamp Trim Ring