Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated grips vs. heated gloves

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 02:12 PM
heavyhitter13
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like heated grips for the convience but if you want you whole hand to be warm then heated gloves cannot be beat.

Old 11-01-2010, 03:14 PM
05UltraBob
Road Master
Received 453 Likes on 262 Posts

I have the HD heated gloves and jacket. Just bought the gloves Sat. at our local dealer for 20% off list. I also bought the Warm N Safe remote dual controller. It should arrive this week. That will help with the wiring issues a bunch. We ride year round in Denver area, road conditions permitting.

Old 11-01-2010, 05:12 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Because I'm either stubborn or lazy, I decided not to break out the Gerbings this morning for the ride to work.....It was 30 degrees when I left the house. I wear Lee Parks PCI gloves, and even with the heated grips my hands were bitter cold when I got to work.

Tomorrow will be about the same, temperature-wise. I'll be wearing the Gerbings.

Old 11-01-2010, 05:24 PM
steelhead
Road Master

I have both. The grips are heated by elements that go inside the bar and heat my Kury Iso grips. Great for cool mornings to about 40. Below that, I put on the Gerbing G3s. If it gets below 30, I turn them both on.

By the way, Gerbings makes the HD heated gear.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:21 AM
Ohiobellboy
Road Warrior
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Great thread and thanks to all that contributed. My truck is in the shop for a few weeks getting some custom work done to it and my stepson finally got a job so I can't take his beater to work. I'm on the bike. 38* when I left the house yesterday. The thick windproof/waterproof gloves I picked up at Harbor Freight last weekend was the best I had used so far but there is no room in the fingers for cirulation so my fingers still got cold. Looks like I'm stopping by the dealer this morning on the way to work to check out gloves. I like the thought of the rechargeable ones but Gerbing's price on there site about killed me. Better than losing fingers to frostbite though.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:25 AM
TitoFTW
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heated gloves. I don't need heated grips on the bike all year.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:36 AM
Dennydp
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 09ultraclassicrider
I have the HD heated gloves and jacket liner and have not been cold riding yet. I have been out when it is below freezing and riding on the interstate with no problems. The gloves are a bit bulky but work just fine. I didnt know about Gerbings til after I bought the HD version, but have heard good things about them.
Gerbings makes the HD electric gear.I have both the HD grips and Gerbings electric gear and they both have their place.Ive had the Gerbing gloves,socks,jacket liner and pants liners since 97 and have riden in the 20s very comfortably.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:20 AM
wingman05
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have both. My preference is the heated grips over the gloves. In my opinion the gloves are too bulky, and even with normal leather riding gloves, I keep the heated grips dial on 2 (of 6). It gets that warm! I have the HD heated grips that came with the Ultra Classic Limited.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:00 AM
Blargh
Road Captain

just got the gerbing glove liners - wearing them saturday for about 3 hrs they actually got warm enough to give a light 'burn' to backs of my hands, but i was using insulated gloves - cut the insulation out of the outergloves (so now they are just a layer of deerskin) and used the liners again this morning (33* and light snow) and they felt perfect... but the grips are still cold, so now I'm thinking of adding the heat demons so both sides of my hands are warm (thinking ahead to when the temps are in the teens or lower...)

I wired the glove harness into my jacket between the liner and the outershell, so now there is no more wiring the jacket - just plug the gloves in and go. Thinking of getting the heated insoles too - 3 hrs in the upper 30's on saturday definitely froze my feet.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:30 PM
Harleyboyddk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The grips are always there, won't forget the gloves at home when you don't think you'll need them. Grips heat only the inside of hand, gloves heat the hands all around.

Quick Reply: Heated grips vs. heated gloves