Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated grips vs. heated gloves

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 12:11 AM
Jukebox
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A friend of mine came riding up last year with a pair of handlebar mits on the grips,he said he no longer needs his heated gloves. Just getting the cold wind off of your hands is a big start. Then some warm gloves should do the trick. I just bought my wife a set of handlebar mits from Acadamy for $11,not a bad price for an experiment. She has not needed them yet,but they look like they will be plenty of wind protection for the hands. I will post more more after the experiment. I really can't see them not working.

Old 10-15-2010, 04:42 AM
hardwork2
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the grips and tourtech tour master gloves that are not heated but with the grips they are sufficent.
Note my heated grips are on my Limited the plain ones not pleasing but work almost too well. 2 is as high as I go. any higher on the settings and they will be so hot you can.t hold on to them.

Old 10-15-2010, 04:58 AM
Irish Hogster
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i much prefer to use lightweight touring gloves with the std Ultra heated grips - works fine

Old 10-15-2010, 11:56 AM
2011FLHTK
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I've got both. The heated grips are great on cool nights when you don't want to wear gloves. The heated gloves are best when it is really cold. If I had to choose one, it would be the heated gloves for sure.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:05 PM
D2R
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2011FLHTK
I've got both. The heated grips are great on cool nights when you don't want to wear gloves. The heated gloves are best when it is really cold. If I had to choose one, it would be the heated gloves for sure.
ditto

Old 10-15-2010, 08:16 PM
arthur
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

I'd go glove too. After having the HD heated grips for 3 years, I just had my 4rth set put on under warranty. They burn out fast, and don't heat the full hand as others have said. When i compare the cost of a single set of grips with install, the gloves still come out cheaper.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:30 PM
vistavette
Stellar HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

I really want heated grips since it doesn't get that cold here in Vegas so I think they'd be perfect... BUT; I have a set of Gerbings gloves that do work well however they are a complete pain to run the wire. Since the HD grips are expensive and difficult to install I'll use my gloves. I ordered the heated jacket liner today that should eliminate the issues with running the wires up my arms since the liner has hook-ups for the gloves right near the cuffs.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:16 PM
thealaskan
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MTGlide
I have heated grips and will probably get some heated gloves soon. The grips are good until around 40 degrees. I'm hoping that gloves will make riding more comfortable when it's below 40.
Your statement does not compute.

Not far below 40F, and water freezes (including roads). Not good for 2 wheel riding. In fact, water freezes even above 32F, such as mornings under the shade of overhanging trees right around that bend past the graveyard you fancy.

So when it's below it's 40F you want to be more comfortable? (get in a fricken car) For how long? Long enough to buy extra heated gear. Yea ok, run that by your ol' lady, not me. Or perhaps buy a fricken snowmobile.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:24 PM
CarbideDude
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heated grips for commuting, Gerbing gloves for touring. In other words the heated grips are great when you just want to get out the garage asap and you can adjust while you're on the way in. And yes they do work much better with the fairing bikes. But when you're gonna be riding in the cold all day, yes the gloves are much better for the reasons stated above.

And BTW I believe Harley improved their heated grips a lot when they went to the fly by wire in 08 or 09. I've had 2 sets since then and they work great with no reliability issues whatsoever.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:33 PM
TMair
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I rode a bike with heated grips, I thought they worked ok.
I however went with heated mittens, I got Gerbings with the battery rather then the ones you plug in, this way I can take them with me for other events too!
Terry

Quick Reply: Heated grips vs. heated gloves