Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way for passenger to mount bike

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 11:14 AM
MADHOG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

I recently purchased a motorcycle training DVD. In the DVD they had a segment that discussed exactly this, passenger mounting. It has some good tips, been trying them myself and they work.

Rider mounts the bike, keeps the Jiffy stand down and bike leaning to the left. Passenger mounts from the right, places the right hand on your shoulder and the right foot on the right board/peg (left hand could be on rider's left shoulder or on tour pack). Then lifts their self up swinging the left leg over onto the left board/peg. This does make sense because when the passenger steps on the right and the bike is leaning left it is counter balanced. I’ve actually been using this method and it works great. In the DVD it had the passenger dismount on the left, give the left and right a try and see what works best for you.

If this procedure is covered already in this thread sorry for the double post. And as others have mentioned, there are several ways you can do this, you’ll just need to give some of these different suggestions a try and see what works "best for you." Yes, if the bike is leaning with the passenger on you have a little more weight to pick up but not too big a deal.

Good luck with this, I’ve tried several things as well until I settled on this method.

Last edited by MADHOG; 03-26-2011 at 11:26 AM.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:10 PM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by KingCripps
I always mount first and then let her get off before I do. We have been doing it long enough that she always seems to get on and get off without problems. Communication is the key.
I usually try and let her get off first .... but sometimes I just can't control myself .....

Old 03-25-2011, 12:44 PM
readyfornew59
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

She needs to ask first if you are ready for her to mount. Then from the right side grab your bicep with her right hand , then right foot on floorboard, then she can step thru. the key here is for her to ask EVERY time if you are ready!!!!! or you couuld just get a solo seat and problem solved. j/k

Old 03-26-2011, 04:01 PM
DESERT VIPER
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

My friend has an ultra classic....he stands his bike up, starts it, puts it in gear, then has his wife climb on while he holds in the clutch lever......didn't like my advice that this could be a problem someday.....

Old 03-26-2011, 05:02 PM
lowrider56
Advanced

I do it the way you do it. It works for me and that's all I care about. I never thought about it being a right or wrong way. Somebody else don't like it, toughs*#t.

Old 03-26-2011, 05:51 PM
harleyiron80
Cruiser

my wife just gets a running start and leaps on like playing leap frog lol i always get on first then she gets on