Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way for passenger to mount bike

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 09:12 AM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Depends on how the scooter is setting for me. on level ground, i get on first, leave the bike on the kick stand, then she gets on. Unlevel ground, I get on, balance the bike and get a big handfull of front brake, she steps up on the rear floorboard and settles in.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:19 AM
kjelders
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get on first and set the bike level. I get a wide stance to level the bike. I give her the ok to get on. She steps on the floorboard with her left foot while her left hand is on my shoulder and right hand on the passenger tour pak pad. She steps across the passenger pillion and puts her right foot on the right passenger board. I'll ask if she ready and we take off. She reverses the process for getting off the bike when I give her the ok to step off.

2 things I make sure of. 1. I don't let her get on the bike til I can find the most level area of the parking space. 2. or after I back the bike out of the parking place.

She doesn't weigh much, so it's not difficult for me to hold the bike in this position.

Last edited by kjelders; 10-13-2010 at 10:27 AM.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:34 AM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,041 Likes on 3,711 Posts

Twice I've been on my bike and had some girl come up and say, "Take me for a ride." and start climbing on. Luckily both were reasonably trim and didn't pull me over. It's a scary feeling though. That said, when the old lady gets on, I leave the kickstand down, level the bike and then tell her to get on. She doesn't have real long legs and has to step up on the left passenger board.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:43 AM
SoonerSoftail
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like it's about evenly split. As for me I get on first, then her. I've seen many do it the other way but I just don't trust the jiffy stand that much. I know it's sturdy but it rocks enough to scare me.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:45 AM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

The other day my sister put her foot (and entire 165lb) on the floorboard to swing herself over. I almost fell over. That's not the right way.
I get on first, balance then my wife swings her leg over with the other one on the ground. That's the best way.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:49 AM
Saint666
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bdp
I'm always the first one on and the last to get off, and there is always a verbal "are you ready" before getting off or on.

Wife gets on the left side with me already on, the bike upright but the stand down just in case, same when getting off, stand out first.

Agree 100% !...

Old 10-13-2010, 11:25 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kjelders
She steps on the floorboard with her left foot while her left hand is on my shoulder and right hand on the passenger tour pak pad.
My wife started out by grabbing my right shoulder when she was getting on. That stopped right away. One time she used my left shoulder for hand grip to pull herself over the bike. Both times I was in immediate critical pain from old shoulder injuries over the years and continued Bursitis, so we actually practiced her getting on until she got it right! lol

Old 10-13-2010, 11:29 AM
nemick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I get on first, then my girl. This is accomplished with military precision and usually preceded with either "bitch on" or "bitch off" from me. I also ensure that she is facing the front of the bike.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:39 AM
CrusingHarley
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get on the bike first leaving it on the jiffy stand. Then the wife gets on using the passenger floor board on the right side of the bike. Once she is on, I straighten up the bike. It works for us.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:40 AM
chevele72
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

When I rode two up, I had an 08 Ultra Classic, I always got on, stood the bike up, but left the kickstand down. Let her mount by stepping on the left passenger floorboard. with her left hand on my left shoulder and her right hand on the Tourpak backrest, she would swing her right leg between the rider backrest and tourpak. After she was seated and ready to go, I would put the kickstand up, Start the engine, let her warm a bit and go. worked for us until she got her own bike. You getting on first and standing the bike up is easier than her getting on and then you have to stand it up with her weight too.
X2, I just posted this in another thread, one time my Wife went to get on my old Road King, left foot on the board, grabbed the sissy bar and pulled me to the ground, more force than I was used to, she was trying something new! If I had the jiffy stand down it would've been fine.

Quick Reply: Best way for passenger to mount bike