Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way for passenger to mount bike

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 12:32 AM
nutsandbolts5212
Road Warrior

Received 799 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by mphamrick
OK, I get on mine first and then she does not get on until I am ready for her. She will ask me if I am ready and I will then tell her. Now for some they leave the jiffey stand down just in case they get on without saying anything and catches you off gaurd pulling the bike down or you trying to catch it, at least this way it will just stop at the stand. So far I have had no problems with her getting on or off as long as she asks if I am ready..................

+1, communication is key. I just couldn't see my girl jumping on my bike w/o me and while it's on the jiffy. Both of them could get hurt, and that's not good. My 2 cents.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:34 AM
MSgt Rose
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I get on first, steady the bike and then she gets on. I have not used the jiffy stand as a back up in the past, but will now consider using it. Normally she asks me if I am ready, but the other day she got on and I was not ready, almost dropped the bike that day. Thank the good lord, I was able to catch it before it hit the ground.

Old 10-13-2010, 03:19 AM
TheRainMan
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jcglide
I found it easier to put the bike on the center stand and let the wife get on first, then I get on - start it - put it in gear and pull off. The stand retracts itself.
OK, I see that this is your very first post - but wow - that is quite the procedure!

Old 10-13-2010, 04:06 AM
OLD 96
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,328 Likes on 942 Posts

I get on first. Hey. It is my bike. Sometimes jiffy stand down sometimes not. Ol lady puts her left foot on the left bitch peg stands on it and swings her right leg over and plants her right foot on the right bitch peg. She does it so deftly I do not know when she has mounted. Then off we go.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:24 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

From the side.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:32 AM
cpudoc
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like her on top... Whoooppps wrong forum!

My wife had a knee replacement, she can not bend her knee enough with me on the bike. I make sure the bike is in gear, off and securely on the stand. She gets on and then I get on. I do not like this, but until she gets her own bike (next year), we need to do it this way.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:51 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Good point about keeping the stand down and getting on from that side.

I offered my wife a chance to get on first and she did not like the bike leaning on the stand ... made her nervous.

Once I'm on she does the left foot on the left passenger running board and is able to get on in one quick move while I stand and brace the bike. She's gotten really good about staying on center when getting on. And we do a "ready, set" before she mounts, and dismounts, and before I take off to be assured we are both ready to go.

Bless her for still riding with me. Our first month of stopping often led to being unbalanced and we've gone over in conditions I now know I should not stop in.

Once with a rented Street Glide we were in Traverse City, at a light on a side angled hill, I went to put my foot down and the ground was several inches lower on that side. Nothing I could do to stop 800 lbs of bike laying on the pavement at the light. Fortunately, I was able to upright the bike on my own. I learned the hard way that stopping under any condition that isn't smooth and flat, while turning the front wheel led to being off balanced with almost no forward speed .... and more than once I've had to just lay it down.

Never realized how much of a work out it is with a passenger on a BIG bike! I'm fully in control by myself.

BTW I'm all of 5'6" and should never have been rented a bike I couldn't safely touch ground on. The FLHTCU I rented was the worst. If the bike leaned more than about 10 degrees it was laid down, while maneuvering slowly or trying back into the garage. Fortunately, this bike had enough crash bars that it just set on it's side tipped instead of falling completely over.

BUT ... not going to let that stop me!!!

I put the lowered air shock on my '86 FLTC (not the bastard kit that was on it and damaged the original shocks) to help. Also found some nice boots with about an additional 1 1/2 inch tread on the bottom that really makes a difference in my ability to hold onto the bike and touch the ground.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:32 AM
BADBREW
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like most I get on first and stabalize the bike then she gets on. The only diff is we have a little ritual to let her know I am ready for her to get on and off. I just move my left hand from the top of the grip and put my palm under the grip. Gives me more strength to hold the bike when she occasionally gets on off balance and lets her know I am ready for her to mount or dismount. Were both comfortable with it and have never dropped it when she's getting on or off. Other times yea maybe..

Old 10-13-2010, 08:38 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

What works for the wife and I,me on first hold the bike up,she when ready tells me,I brace she steps on pass board and climbs on.Same getting off.It is easier on both of us.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:02 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,863 Likes on 2,428 Posts

Well I reckon we've covered every possibility there is now! I let my wife get on and powder her nose if she wishes, then I get on and off we go. I do steady the bike by the bars while she goes through her balletic routine.

What nobody has pointed out yet is the jiffy stand locks itself. On a reasonably level surface the bike is going nowhere while it is on that stand (on a serious slope the bike will roll, either forwards or backwards, dragging the stand with it).

Quick Reply: Best way for passenger to mount bike