Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Glide or Ultra Classic

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 10:07 PM
Wassup8687
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go for the Ultra. Its much more comfortable which will come in handy on the longer rides.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:08 PM
NC_HD
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Ultra has a 96 and the SG was ordered with the 103, think I would miss the extra power?

Old 10-12-2010, 10:12 PM
electra glide
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take the tour pack off, fairing lowers etc. Put on a shorter shield, shorter, sportier seat, lower it if you want and there's your streetglide, for the most part at least. I personally like the passing lamps. Keep the tour pack and seat for long hauls, or sell them, get the above mentioned items, spend a grand less at the dealer, and come out way ahead. An ultra is typically a more expensive bike I would think, and they're offering it to you for a grand less. Seems like the way to go to me.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:14 PM
electra glide
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh, I just saw the 103 thing. That goes in the street glide favor. That makes it more complicated.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:18 PM
NC_HD
Intermediate

man, I told the wife I would have a decision by the morning... may be a long night!! LOL

Old 10-12-2010, 10:20 PM
Fire-Medic
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll give the OP my :

I have been dealing with the same decision between the two and there are some things that I came up with. At 30 years old this is definitely NOT the last bike I will ever be buying, both bikes look good to me and there's things I like about both. No matter which bike you get, you'll be throwing money at it anyways so be happy with your decision. I like the fenders especially the back of the SG more than the geezer glides. I did like that the geezer glides came with lowers and a tourpak, but I don't need a CB, and the rear speakers are a moot point if I upgrade the front end, because when the passenger sits in the back you don't want to be blowing their ears off and they will be covering some of the rear sound anyways.

If the made, from factory, a SG/RG bike, that had the hot rod styling but a detachable tour pak I think HD would have a real winner and a dead ringer for some serious sales.

So in the end, even if I dumped cash into a street glide for a detachable tour pak and lowers, neither of which are needed ASAP since my wife still rides less than 30% of the time with me and I live in warm FL, I would be happier because of the styling of the bike.

You have to really sit back and see what works for you, everyone's situation is different, and there's always more than one way to look at everything.

For me yeah the Ultra would have saved some cash up front (maybe) but I would have spent a **** load of money changing lights and fenders and what not.

So like someone else said, buy the SG, it's what you wanted, and do whatever you'd like to it. I test rode a 2011 with the 103" a few days ago and fell in love with it. The tunes, the nice ride despite being lower than my RKC, the fairing and gauges, and the power. And the SG handles much better/easier than my RKC, throwing that bike in and out of turns was both easy and a ton of fun. My sundowner and sissy bar will transfer over if/when I trade, and the lowers and tourpak can be bought whenever I feel like it, not a necessity at this point.

Sit down with a piece of paper and write down your needs and wants and see which bike fulfills those 2 list the most.

Good luck with your decision, you can't go wrong either way.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:24 PM
NC_HD
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Fire-Medic
I'll give the OP my :

I have been dealing with the same decision between the two and there are some things that I came up with. At 30 years old this is definitely NOT the last bike I will ever be buying, both bikes look good to me and there's things I like about both. No matter which bike you get, you'll be throwing money at it anyways so be happy with your decision. I like the fenders especially the back of the SG more than the geezer glides. I did like that the geezer glides came with lowers and a tourpak, but I don't need a CB, and the rear speakers are a moot point if I upgrade the front end, because when the passenger sits in the back you don't want to be blowing their ears off and they will be covering some of the rear sound anyways.

If the made, from factory, a SG/RG bike, that had the hot rod styling but a detachable tour pak I think HD would have a real winner and a dead ringer for some serious sales.

So in the end, even if I dumped cash into a street glide for a detachable tour pak and lowers, neither of which are needed ASAP since my wife still rides less than 30% of the time with me and I live in warm FL, I would be happier because of the styling of the bike.

You have to really sit back and see what works for you, everyone's situation is different, and there's always more than one way to look at everything.

For me yeah the Ultra would have saved some cash up front (maybe) but I would have spent a **** load of money changing lights and fenders and what not.

So like someone else said, buy the SG, it's what you wanted, and do whatever you'd like to it. I test rode a 2011 with the 103" a few days ago and fell in love with it. The tunes, the nice ride despite being lower than my RKC, the fairing and gauges, and the power. And the SG handles much better/easier than my RKC, throwing that bike in and out of turns was both easy and a ton of fun. My sundowner and sissy bar will transfer over if/when I trade, and the lowers and tourpak can be bought whenever I feel like it, not a necessity at this point.

Sit down with a piece of paper and write down your needs and wants and see which bike fulfills those 2 list the most.

Good luck with your decision, you can't go wrong either way.
Thanks, great points

Old 10-12-2010, 10:46 PM
stratplexi
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,084 Likes on 562 Posts

If you can only own one bike, get the one that you want even if you have to pay more and wait. You will not be happy compromising. For one bike, a Road King, Heritage Softail or Streetglide are the best choices for both around town styling and touring capability. With any of these choices you WILL compromise some touring comfort....but you already know that.

If you are lucky enough to be able to own 2 bikes, 1 of them should be an Ultra. They cannot be beat for 2-up riding comfort and touring. Personally, I think they look great with the right accessories. They have a classic look that hearkins back to a simpler time. I can ride mine sun up to sun down without being worn out and beat up. My wife and I really enjoy traveling on it. Best of luck on your decision.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:48 PM
Gruamach
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NC_HD
The Ultra has a 96 and the SG was ordered with the 103, think I would miss the extra power?
YES.

I test rode an Ultra with a 96, and my SG has the 103.
HUGE difference in power and handling, especially at low speeds.
I felt like I had to gun the Ultra from a stop to make sure it didn't tip over (I'm on tip-toes at stops), but the SG just takes off the moment I start letting the clutch out.

I'm still freaked out at how easy my SG is to toss around. I lean it more than I did my Softail, and can tell it still wants to lean some more. With the extra weight of an Ultra, I doubt it'd be nearly as nice.

You can accomplish the same CONCEPT either way:
Take an SG and add the detachable tour pak and lower fairing and seat.
or
Take an Ultra and make it's pak detachable and get a solo/SG seat.

I think the costs in the end would pretty much even out.

BUT, here's my argument for going the SG route:
Taking an Ultra and removing the pak and lower fairing isn't going make it an SG. Not completely.
Part of the appeal of the SG is the minimalist, hot rod look. An Ultra will still have all the extra saddlebag bars around it, as well as the metal trimming around the fenders.
Then there's also the extra visual bulk of the running lights on the front. And let's face it: The new SG tail lights are SOOO much cooler than the classic "brick" taillight and standard touring turn signals.

So from a style perspective, a stripped down Ultra will still look like a stripped down Ultra, not the sleek, hot-rod lines of the Street Glide.
To some, that may not matter. But if your attitude about owning a touring bike is wanting to keep as much of the chopper/cruiser attitude as you can on a daily basis....well, that's just one of the deciding factors that made me choose early on to go with the SG over an Ultra.

(damn, where'd this soap box come from?)

Old 10-13-2010, 06:07 PM
bigmack
Advanced

road glide ultra is the only way to go. test drive and u will never go back to bat wing

Quick Reply: Street Glide or Ultra Classic