Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Glide or Ultra Classic

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 09:29 PM
990rtracer
Road Captain
Received 47 Likes on 18 Posts

ULTRA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 of the different guys I ride with the most both have 2010 SG's, both always have there woman on the back, I swear every time we stop there woman makes a comment as to how comfortable my wife looks and they arn't! I originally thought I wanted a SG but a one day rental on a Ultra proved me wrong. My Ultra is every bit as nimble and much better overall ride / handling. If you are trying to impress people with the look of a SG then so be it, Buy it! But if you want a great ride, comfort, amenities the Ultra is the only way in my book.
Oh and the lack of a real brake light? get real! I almost refuse to follow them as those two little lights SUCK! Don't know how many times I had to almost try out my ABS due to those things.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:44 PM
SICKBAGGER
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ultra so you won't be needing another bike!
The wife is happy we are happy as the saying goes

Old 10-30-2010, 06:43 AM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Go to the middle of the road and get a Classic.

Old 10-30-2010, 04:19 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by stratplexi
Ace, you know the words economic or value and harley don't belong in the same sentence or discussion. The OP should get the bike that makes his heart jump...so to speak. From that point, it's just a matter of green $$.
My point exactly.

Get what makes your heart pump. Not what someone convinces you is the better "deal", which seems to be where most of the Ultra proponents seem to usually be coming from.

Old 10-30-2010, 07:52 PM
Marine Trader
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Go Ultra and never look back.

Originally Posted by NC_HD
such a tough choice, I like the looks of the Street Glide but the ride and functionality of the Ultra Classic
The looks of the Ultra Classic grows on you very easily. Keep the family happy and go with the Ultra. You will be glad you did on the first trip with the O L.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:25 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 662 Likes on 412 Posts

Ultra Classic is the way to go, especially for riding two-up.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:28 PM
Slash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by stratplexi
Ace, you know the words economic or value and harley don't belong in the same sentence or discussion. I think your first post was correct, a stripped Ultra is not a Streetglide and a loaded Streetglide is not an Ultra. They share the same major components (frame, powertrain) but the differences is in the details as you pointed out. Both bikes can be similarly equiped, and both cover a lot of the same territorry, but there is enough of a difference that some guys care.

To me, the FLHX is a modern interpretation of a bagger just waiting to be tricked out further...hot rod to full custom. While it can tour, that is not its primary purpose or what makes it desirable.

The Ultra is meant for touring right out of the showroom. Add a luggage rack and you are ready for hauling the little lady and all her junk too. The look harkens back to the classic FLH and simpler times. The trim and details are very similar to a new one decades ago but with modern reliability, capability and power.

You can't go wrong with either bike but as with everything, the devil is in the details.

Sometimes, I think about getting down to 1 bike and selling my Softail. If I did, I would probably end up trading the Ultra in on a Streetglide or Road King and having all the detach stuff to go from cruiser to touring. The OP should get the bike that makes his heart jump...so to speak. From that point, it's just a matter of green $$.
And that post was Dead Solid Perfect - Finally someone said what I've been thinking but wasn't sure how to explain it.

Well said by stratplexi

Old 10-31-2010, 12:56 AM
dennab
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

delayed delivery? I'd go to another dealer to find your bike. SG's are everywhere.

Old 11-04-2010, 05:34 PM
SunCruise
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Imagine yourself riding it.

Originally Posted by NC_HD
I ordered a 2011 Street Glide with the power pack. The dealer said today that my ship date has been moved back until the last week in November. While in the store my wife saw a 2010 Ultra Classic and of course commented on the comfortable back seat... The dealer said they would give me a deal on the bike, ends up being a bit over 1k less than the stock SG that I was going to put another 2k into it for backrest, luggage rack and bags, etc.

Now I am really confused, i'm only 35 y/o and feel that the Ultra a bit too "classic" but man it rides great!!!

I am so confused now!
Are ya cruisin the highways, and alot of around town too? I don't know that I'll ever reach the Ultra age as some call it and I'm in my 50's. JMO...but whatever bike you buy..you will be changing and adding parts. Nature of the beast. To me, when you load a motorcycle up with stereo, gps, compact, disk, fairing,lowers,travel trunk,arm rests, back rests, whip antennas and god knows what else...might as well check out a Winnebego. OK i said it and will probably here about it. That doesnt mean I haven't thought of a tour pack for my RK Classic, I have, detachable and only for a long haul. perhaps the thinner razor one...less top heavy. I VOTE Street Glide. Good luck with whatever you choose. SC

Old 11-04-2010, 05:42 PM
2011FLHTK
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Buy the Ultra and change what you don't like and make the tourpak detachable.

Quick Reply: Street Glide or Ultra Classic