Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Q for Garmin Zumo Users

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 04:43 PM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Q for Garmin Zumo Users

I'm looking to replace my TomTom Rider2 before my Alaska trip next year. I've been reading the Garmin Zumo specs and have a question for those who use or know them well.

The Zumo 665 has XM satellite included. Is this the only difference between it and the 550 which supports GPS, but isn't included. This beckons a second question. What does "included" mean? I have a lifetime Sirius subscription, so unless there's some really impressive navigational enhancement with XM, I fail to see the value for the additional cost.

The 660 appears to have the same features and functions as the 550 and 665, except with no XM capability.

I gathered this information from the Garmin motorcycle navigation web site. Are my assumptions correct or am I off base here? Any insight appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:10 PM
al baehr
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the 550 and 660, the 660 has a bigger screen and a few added features, The 660 in some areas will show which lane to be in for exiting and also shows the posted speed limits which I think is very cool.

I have the hd xm so need for it with the gps for me.

My opinion they are both great units you cant go wrong either way.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:25 PM
redhwk44
Road Master

While I don't use the XM Sat feature of the 550 I do remember that it is XM capable. Good luck on the trip north I am jealous.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:40 PM
Ed Y
Advanced

Here's a great source of info for Zumo users.

http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php

Old 10-12-2010, 06:58 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I've had a 550 for a couple years now and I've been using the build in XM.

I just bought the 665 which I am installing at this time. Should have my system up and running in a couple weeks. Waiting on other parts right now.

Here is why I chose the 665.

1. I'm installing the Navigation Interface Module (NIM). The NIM will integrate the XM into the HD stereo.
2. I sent my HD stereo in to Iron Cross Audio to have a rear AUX port installed.
3. I mounting the GPS on the fuel door with all the wires hidden.
4. I'm also installing the iPod interface so I can put my iPod in the glovebox and control it with the handlebar controls.

When I'm done with all this, I should have the ultimate INTEGRATED HD system with NO VISIBLE wires. I'll have the following:

1. AM/FM/WB/XM radio
2. iPod MP3
3. Zumo MP3
4. CD MP3
5. GPS navigation
6. Intercom
7. CB radio

I know it looks like overkill. Why would anyone need all that????? I'm one of those guys who can't get enough of a good thing. Enough said.

If things work out like they should, this will all work together with the GPS as an integrated system. Nothing hanging from the bars. All very simple to access and operate.

I'll be posting an installation thread when it's all done. Should be in a couple weeks.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:21 PM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by sifularson
When I'm done with all this, I should have the ultimate INTEGRATED HD system with NO VISIBLE wires.
Awesome! We think alike. Will look forward to seeing the pics.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:25 PM
KutenFLHX
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have the 660 and love it. It's got a bigger screen than the 550 and I think is easier to use.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:15 PM
Jerry1834
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

660 is the way to go....I use mine in the car and the bike....nice wide screen....

Old 10-12-2010, 09:01 PM
jimclaypool
Tourer
Default Zumo 550 touch screen failure

The touch screen on my Zumo 550 failed on my Alaska trip this past June. It locked up all the Zumo functions from mapping/navigation/bluetooth/mp3s!! It was worthless for over 6,000 miles of my trip! Fortunately I had a tank bag with a map window and my paper maps with me as a backup. Had to use the radio and only one mp3 CD for tunes! I had over 5,000 songs stored on SD cards for the Zumo that I could not longer access. I called Garmin and the only response I got was send it to us with $150 and we will fix it. I searched forums and found lots of comments about the touch screen failing in 2-3 years quite with all the replacement instruction documented. I ordered a replacement touch screen off of Ebay for around $25 and replaced it myself. Works great again (and I saved over $110!!). BUT, I never leave on a big trip without my paper maps!!

Old 10-12-2010, 09:24 PM
reserve
Cruiser

Here is the deal. The only major difference between the 665 and the 550 is that the 665 aside from the obvious screen size, it allows you to recieve an XM signal over bluetooth without a bluetooth dongle. Meaning people who have bluetooth headsets and the 550 had to purchase a dongle (dv1000) to recieve the XM signal over that headset. The new 665 has the A2dp compatibility built in.

Quick Reply: Q for Garmin Zumo Users