Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lookin for passenger controls when Tour Pak is removed

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 08:57 AM
iHarley
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lookin for passenger controls when Tour Pak is removed

Anyone know of a passenger control(s) I can use when I remove the tour pak / huge touring seat and configure with pad and back rest? This is an Ultra Classic, just need something for the passenger to use.

Attached Thumbnails Lookin for passenger controls when Tour Pak is removed-dscn1019.jpg  
Old 10-12-2010, 09:57 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Check-out the installation instructions and parts list for the Boom Audio Music and Intercom (BAMI) Kit, p/n 77108-09A:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...ts/-J04977.pdf

This kit will have more to it than what you need since it's for adding CB/Intercom on an Electra Glide, Road Glide or Street Glide without having a tour pak mounted. The interesting part of the installation for your purposes concern the passenger headset connector and PTT/vol. switch that are installed without the tour pak.

With some study, you can figure out how to adapt the headset connector presently on your bike to mount using the P-clamp in the kit, and replace the PTT/vol. switch in your speaker pod with the one from the kit. The BAMI kit doesn't include the mode/sel switch, but in all other respects this kit replicates the CB/Intercom of your Ultra, but without use of the tour pak.

I installed the BAMI kit on my bike and it works as designed, and you should be able to figure out what you need for your Ultra based on what the installation instructions and parts list show.

Good luck with your project.

Carl

Old 10-12-2010, 10:00 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

marking this for later

Old 10-12-2010, 10:23 AM
iHarley
Advanced

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
Check-out the installation instructions and parts list for the Boom Audio Music and Intercom (BAMI) Kit, p/n 77108-09A:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...ts/-J04977.pdf

This kit will have more to it than what you need since it's for adding CB/Intercom on an Electra Glide, Road Glide or Street Glide without having a tour pak mounted. The interesting part of the installation for your purposes concern the passenger headset connector and PTT/vol. switch that are installed without the tour pak.

With some study, you can figure out how to adapt the headset connector presently on your bike to mount using the P-clamp in the kit, and replace the PTT/vol. switch in your speaker pod with the one from the kit. The BAMI kit doesn't include the mode/sel switch, but in all other respects this kit replicates the CB/Intercom of your Ultra, but without use of the tour pak.

I installed the BAMI kit on my bike and it works as designed, and you should be able to figure out what you need for your Ultra based on what the installation instructions and parts list show.

Good luck with your project.

Carl
Carl, thanks!

Yes, Ive looked at this and it would work, no big deal not having the mode/sel switch. Little pricey at $380.00 just for the control. To bad they don't sell that part seperately.

Regards,
Tom

Old 10-12-2010, 11:28 AM
sh57
Elite HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

keep your eye on the classified section and ebay. I picked up the harness your need for $100 when I was adding it to my bike.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:34 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Tom, don't give up just yet. It often happens that owners are ahead of HD in what we want for our bikes and have to adapt their existing products. In your case, take a look at the PTT/vol. switch in your speaker pod (i.e. remove the speaker) and it will look similar to the switch in the BAMI kit. You can purchase the PTT/vol. switch, switch housing in the BAMI kit, and the connector to recreate the part that HD doesn't offer for separate sale.

You can get what you want, but you'll be adapting HD's available parts to accomplish what you want. Many aren't willing to undertake the effort if it's not a plug 'n play proposition. In my case, I installed the BAMI kit and retrofitted the Harman Kardon head unit with CB to have a clean CB/Intercom installation on an '04 bike using the kit intended for '07 and newer bikes and dealt with a couple of wiring and parts issues along the way.

Hope you find a solution satisfactory to you.

Carl

Old 10-12-2010, 12:55 PM
iHarley
Advanced

Ok Carl, you beat me up on this.

You’re correct it’s not that difficult to fab something using off-the-shelve and HD parts. Lookin at Da Book, there are only 3 wires that control the passenger vol +/- and PTT, Orange/Black (common to all functions), + Pink/White (Vol +), +Gray/White (Vol -) and + Violet/Black (PTT).

Add a momentary rocker switch, spring loaded push button, box for everything, wire and correct connector and I’m in business.

I would gladly pay $100.00 for the harness like sh57 did, really don’t need another project now.