Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V&H Dresser Duals vs. V&H Power Duals

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 09:01 PM
bwana1
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

This thread reminds me of a bunch of ****** arguing about virginity.

jus sayin

Bwana

Old 11-23-2011, 10:47 PM
CT-Bagger
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sh57
I switched out my power duels for the dresser duels about a month ago and have not felt any power loss. Maybe that is because it sounds so much better that I think I have the same power. IMO you just can't go wrong with the sound of true duels.
I switched from Power Duals to Dresser Duals also. Never got used to that bow-tie thing.
They sound much better.
With the Power Duals 70% of the exhaust still comes out the right side. When When I switched to Dresser Duals the left side muffler finally got hot enough to smell and break in from the heat.
I think Power Duals might just be a gimmick and the only actual evidence I have seen is around 3 HP.

Old 11-24-2011, 10:32 AM
wingfoot
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Guys there is another option!

I have had the Cobra Power Port on for a few months and am very happy with both sound and performance.

I went through the de-cated stock head pipe and the V&H Power Duals and wound up sticking with these.

They have a full size crossover pipe and the power port that connects the two pipes together.

Last edited by wingfoot; 10-16-2016 at 07:44 PM.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:01 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Best bang depends what you're looking for. I looked at the Power Duals and Dresser Duals and picked the Dresser Duals. My objective was 1) heat reduction 2) sound.

IMO, there is not a big difference between the stock headers and the Power Duals, at least for my 09 Ultra which didn't have a cat converter in the header. They're both what I call "fake duals" and they're both stepped headers. True duals are 2-2, not 2-1-2. If you have stock headers with a cat (2010 and up), any aftermarket headers would be an improvement, simply by eliminating the cat.
You could also open your stock headers, take the cat out and re-weld them, and you'd get pretty much the same result as with the Power Duals.

Heat (and back pressure) is created by the bottleneck where the 2 headers merge. When the 2 headers are completely independent from each other like for the DD, there's significantly less heat around the right leg (my passenger loves it) and also a little less back pressure than with the stock headers.

Sound will be much better with true duals, aka 2-2 design. The reason is, with fake duals, 70% of the exhaust gasses will go through the right muffler and 30% through the left. Put your hands behind your exhaust and check the difference. With 2-2 headers, you'll get 50%-50% so the sound will be more stereophonic. It will be louder than with 2-1-2 but not obnoxious.

In terms of looks, it's your call. I prefer the looks of the Dresser Duals but it's subjective.

Clearance? I never considered it a criteria for me, but maybe the PD has less clearance than the DD, I don't know.

Both the PD and DD are great quality headers. You can't go wrong either way.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by frenchbiker; 11-24-2011 at 01:19 PM.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:48 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,609 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Originally Posted by CT-Bagger
I switched from Power Duals to Dresser Duals also. Never got used to that bow-tie thing.
They sound much better.
With the Power Duals 70% of the exhaust still comes out the right side. When When I switched to Dresser Duals the left side muffler finally got hot enough to smell and break in from the heat.
I think Power Duals might just be a gimmick and the only actual evidence I have seen is around 3 HP.
There are other options - Fullsac and Fuelmoto both have X-Pipe 2-1-2 which allow you to use the stock heat shields.

Old 12-07-2013, 09:04 PM
frederickj
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering the Same.

Originally Posted by retgi
I just ordered the power duals with the high output mufflers.
Let me know how it turns out for you.

Old 12-07-2013, 09:19 PM
131IRONMIKE
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Power duals= torque,Dresser duals= Horse power,just more of it

Old 12-07-2013, 09:40 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Im very happy with my VHDDs, really distinctive sound each piston being heard individually....With the 4" Rineharts and a specific map from Dynojet it runs like a raped ape.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:05 PM
Guitardude
Club Member
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

While I've always been a BIG V&H fan, when I picked up my 12 FLHTCU it already had Rush Racing true duals and 3.5 inch tipped slip ons with 2 inch baffles on it.

I had thought I'd change them out, but after a Dyno session and riding it for 15k miles, I love the sound (throaty and deep without being obnoxiously loud unless I twist it HARD and let it rev) and the difference that I've seen in Dyno numbers between these headers and any of the 2-1-2 cross overs isn't enough to make me want to swap them out.

If I was going to make a change, it would be to the fullsac simply because of the results others that I ride with have had with the product and the company, or to black heat shields and the same slip ons from Rush, all in black.

Rush also has a new line of HO True Duals out with a x-over built in that keep the true dual look while giving you the power that comes from the x-over.

Old 12-08-2013, 05:58 AM
1roadking
Tourer
Received 143 Likes on 79 Posts

I went from a stock header to vance and hines big shot true duals on my 2005 roadking and it crushed my low end torque.

Quick Reply: V&H Dresser Duals vs. V&H Power Duals