Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4" Rinehart End Caps

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 08:27 PM
Wonderbob
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rush....three bike three sets no problems. As for the baffle coming out by removing the end cap...I say that is where the problem is. On the Rush slip-on when you remove the cap you still have to undo the screws that hold the baffle in.

I know I know sounds like a commercial. LOL

Old 10-29-2010, 07:13 AM
SGLarry
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

<<<<<This was their response.

"Get some high temp Permatex and put a bead around the endcap and install the endcap. Let it set for a day before you run the bike and it should fix the problem."

Nice huh? It's the last RH product I ever purchase.

Rick >>>>>

Yeah, ok..... would be nice if they did that for you when make 'em, huh? This may be a little on the bold side (I like a challenge), but here's the solution I came up with. Went to the hardware store and bought two 1-1/4" stainless button head allen bolts (I buffed the heads up real nice)+ stainless nuts and lock washers ($2.99), took out end caps (the threaded holes already go all the way through), taped around the muffler hole, and drilled a hole in the baffle. This should hold the end cap flush AND keep the baffle from coming loose in the future. ( with a little black high temp header paint, you don't even notice it.) We'll see how it goes after I get some miles on. If it works, I'll shoot Clearline/Rinehart a little "suggestion." :-) I still do love the looks and sound of thesse 4"ers...

Attached Thumbnails 4&quot; Rinehart End Caps-rinehart.jpg  

Last edited by SGLarry; 10-29-2010 at 09:38 AM.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:44 AM
timberland
Road Master
Location: Log home in SE Michigan full time. Log cabin in east TN, Smoky Mountians part time
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by My Fix
I do not know I'll look when I get home . But I'm having all kind of cherping noises .
The chirp is more than likely from a broke rear angled bracket that is hose clamped by the rear cylinder . Seen it on Rineharts and my friends Bassini's. Its common.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:58 AM
SGLarry
Road Captain

Originally Posted by SGLarry
<<<<<This was their response.

"Get some high temp Permatex and put a bead around the endcap and install the endcap. Let it set for a day before you run the bike and it should fix the problem."

Nice huh? It's the last RH product I ever purchase.

Rick >>>>>

Yeah, ok..... would be nice if they did that for you when make 'em, huh? This may be a little on the bold side (I like a challenge), but here's the solution I came up with. Went to the hardware store and bought two 1-1/4" stainless button head allen bolts (I buffed the heads up real nice)+ stainless nuts and lock washers ($2.99), took out end caps (the threaded holes already go all the way through), taped around the muffler hole, and drilled a hole in the baffle. This should hold the end cap flush AND keep the baffle from coming loose in the future. ( with a little black high temp header paint, you don't even notice it.) We'll see how it goes after I get some miles on. If it works, I'll shoot Clearline/Rinehart a little "suggestion." :-) I still do love the looks and sound of thesse 4"ers...
Update... Had a chance to put a few 100 miles on after my "fix". The end caps have not budged and the "chirping" is gone. I think the chirping that some hear is due to the way the baffle seats in the end cap. With the hot-cold/expansion-contraction the steel baffle will vibrate in the aluminum end cap. The longer bolt and nut tighten it all together and they no longer vibrate. I'm happy and good to go. :-)

Old 11-15-2010, 10:44 AM
Mikekoz13
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was going to buy the 4" Rinehart's for my new Limited but knowing this I won't spend that kind of money on something that I need to modify.

Anyone have any suggestions on slip ons that have a similar sound as the Rineharts??

Old 11-15-2010, 11:09 AM
SGLarry
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Mikekoz13
I was going to buy the 4" Rinehart's for my new Limited but knowing this I won't spend that kind of money on something that I need to modify.

Anyone have any suggestions on slip ons that have a similar sound as the Rineharts??
I wouldn't let it stop you. There are plently of guys out there with no problems and are happy with them just the way they are....They do have an 18 month warranty. If there's a problem they'll take care of it. Just my way of doing things on my own.... I guess I'm just a little into "overkill" LOL

Last edited by SGLarry; 11-15-2010 at 12:05 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:58 AM
bmaier
Road Warrior
Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by SGLarry
I wouldn't let it stop you. There are plently of guys out there with no problems and are happy with them just the way they are....They do have an 18 month warranty. I gues I'm just a little into "overkill" LOL
Yep, iv e got almost 5k miles on my 4" the 5 months they've been on. I did have one small issue, some timy cracking of the black finish on one of the end caps, they sent me me a new cap, no charge, no questions asked. They seem to stand behind ther product with the 18 month warranty versus the chinchy 6 month warranty they had when they were manufactured by BUB. I would buy another set in a heartbeat, I get compliments all the time, I think they're the best looking and sounding pipes out there

Old 11-15-2010, 06:37 PM
big_al
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had my rineharts for four years and the only issue now is the end caps turning kind of purple I called them and they basically said that i was out of warranty. I am going to take the caps off and powdercoat them and forget about it..