Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FLHT to FLHX

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 08:28 PM
vickon
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default FLHT to FLHX

I'm eliminating the rear brakelight/turnlights/tag holder from my stock '08 FLHTC and replacing with a full FLHX setup.
I haven't received the "donor" parts yet (2007 FLHX) and I know it probably won't be "plug 'n play" so I'm looking for advise, tips, what to do or not to do on how to do the swap.
Things like:
Do I have to re-drill the rear fender?
Do I completely remove the stock u-bar where the FLHTC tag originally mounts, or I saw somewhere a very nice attachment that fills the holes, so remove bar or leave it and plug holes?
I already have a tri-bar light so the harness shouldn't be a problem.

Again, any insight and tips on how to go with this little project will be greatly appreciated ...thanks!!

Old 10-11-2010, 09:34 PM
robertg
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I believe you will have an extra hole in the rear bottom of the fender, and you will have to drill some holes in the sides. The wiring is plug and play.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:38 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

If the donor parts don't include the rear fender, you will have to deal with three holes that will be visible that are used to attach and wire the fender tip light now mounted on your fender. The fender tip light must be removed to install the fascia, so the three holes will be visible unless covered. I've seen one or two here mount the license plate low to cover the holes. And I've heard of others who've had the fender welded/body work to cover the holes. Most who have done this mod (myself included) simply used a take-off SG, RK Custom, or RG (2004-2008) rear fender.

The turn signal bar will mount up fine where your current pancake signal light bar is installed.

You can use the fender fascia as a template to locate where to drill the three holes per side for using a stud plate on each side (which has threaded studs attached) and nuts to secure the fascia to the fender, or use 3M VHB (very high bond) double-faced tape to attach the fascia to the fender. I did the mod in early '06, and simply purchased the stud plates and nuts, and used an SG fender that already had the holes for the stud plates.

Here's one of many threads on this modification which contain useful information:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...with-tips.html

You can leave the U-bar (upper support tube in HD terminology) or, better, replace it with the Street Glide part since it has no provision for the license plate--it's just a plain piece of curved chrome. Alternatively, HD includes a decent trim piece with "Harley Davidson" in script that installs where the bolt locations are on the support tube, and it's available for separate sale--it's included in the bullet turn signal license plate relocation kit (basically, the SG turn signal bar) in the parts catalog and HD's website catalog. Go to the website for that accessory and there will be a pdf file that includes the part no. for the trim piece.

Good luck with your project.

Carl

Old 05-24-2011, 01:03 AM
bigtony55
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
If the donor parts don't include the rear fender, you will have to deal with three holes that will be visible that are used to attach and wire the fender tip light now mounted on your fender. The fender tip light must be removed to install the fascia, so the three holes will be visible unless covered. I've seen one or two here mount the license plate low to cover the holes. And I've heard of others who've had the fender welded/body work to cover the holes. Most who have done this mod (myself included) simply used a take-off SG, RK Custom, or RG (2004-2008) rear fender.

The turn signal bar will mount up fine where your current pancake signal light bar is installed.

You can use the fender fascia as a template to locate where to drill the three holes per side for using a stud plate on each side (which has threaded studs attached) and nuts to secure the fascia to the fender, or use 3M VHB (very high bond) double-faced tape to attach the fascia to the fender. I did the mod in early '06, and simply purchased the stud plates and nuts, and used an SG fender that already had the holes for the stud plates.

Here's one of many threads on this modification which contain useful information:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...with-tips.html

You can leave the U-bar (upper support tube in HD terminology) or, better, replace it with the Street Glide part since it has no provision for the license plate--it's just a plain piece of curved chrome. Alternatively, HD includes a decent trim piece with "Harley Davidson" in script that installs where the bolt locations are on the support tube, and it's available for separate sale--it's included in the bullet turn signal license plate relocation kit (basically, the SG turn signal bar) in the parts catalog and HD's website catalog. Go to the website for that accessory and there will be a pdf file that includes the part no. for the trim piece.

Good luck with your project.

Carl
Good info thanks