Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tried riding without windshield

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 05:11 PM
vickers1
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Last time I put my shorty on for a weekend, I said never again! That was 3 months ago. Well, I just got finished installing my shorty again for the Daytona Biketoberfest trip. I'm sure that Sunday I'll say never again.

Old 10-11-2010, 05:25 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Unless I'm going on a long highway ride or they're calling for rain, I never put the Windvest on the 'Train. Yeah I end up eating a bug or two, I can live with that. The clean air coming over the bars is much less of an issue than the turbulent air I get with a shorty windshield on the Limited.

Old 10-11-2010, 06:45 PM
98Ultra
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I rode years ago with an older gent, him on an Ultra and me on an 82 FXRS. When we stopped for coffee, he grabbed the table and I went to the head to get the bugs out of my eyes and beard.
One night he said lets trade bikes for the next stint. I readily agreed. At the next stop,I grabbed the table while he went to get the bugs off his face.
The following Saturday found a windshield modified to fit my FXRS. I have only ridden with out long enough to get a windshield to fit my next, new to me, bike.

I traded my 98 Ultra for an 08 Ultra (I'll bitch about that some where else) and have a 73 Sportster with apes and no windshield for playing around town.
I've ridden it around 100 or so miles round trip with out the windshield, in the rain, and would have been much happier on the Ultra. Did I mention no shocks, struts to lower it. I do have a sprung solo seat though. It is fun but the bugs can really be a pain.

I keep it at work so I can ride to the bike nights around town after work. I don't ride the Ultra to work that much cause I might need the truck for work. Also, some mornings it might be raining, then be a beautiful day by lunch. I can then go to lunch on the Sportster.

Oh, back to the subject. I MUCH prefer a windshield unless just cruising around town.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:02 PM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Back during the 60's and 70's, Never wanted or had a windshield on any of my bikes...It simply was UNCOOL to have them. Now............................well, It's COOL for me to have one!

Old 10-11-2010, 07:10 PM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by onfloat
I prefer to ride without the windshield, but I will throw it on if there is rain in the forecast.
Ditto and when the weather is cooler. Bug splat is full of protein....

Old 10-11-2010, 07:23 PM
Aslan
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Back in the day no how no way would I have a windshield on my bike.
My how the years have changed me now it's not the 60's and I'm in my 60's no how no way would I not have a windshiled on my bike.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:32 PM
MarineBagger
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have mine off most of the time, unless it is really cold. Love the wind in my face, and the bugs and other debris is worth it. I'm like a damn dog with my head out the window of the truck.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:35 PM
OilFieldBuyer
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've used a Windjammer fairing for years (yeah, it was a metric bike and the name alone should tell you how long I've been riding) and going to the windshield was fantastic. I'd never ride without it unless I doing a few short rolls around the streets of Houston but once I hit the freeways, I have it on. I took a hockey puck to the face a few years ago (former hockey coach) and would never consider taking a rock from a car to the face. IMHO the windshield is one more safety device.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:37 PM
Teardrop
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I used to ride without a windshield all the time but once I got used to it I don't think I could ever go back.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:05 PM
yljkt
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I throw mine on for Nov and Dec. Jan Feb and March it usually is stored. Then once its April, the windshield goes back to leaning against the wall covered by a packing blanket. I like to feel like I'm on a motorcycle. This was the problem I had with my 95 EG for 10 years. Unless I lose my mind and buy a StreetGlide with the 103". And that could happen. God help me...

Quick Reply: Tried riding without windshield