Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tried riding without windshield

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 04:01 PM
Irish Hogster
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I demo'd a Fat Bob last weekend and had a great time for an hour or so. It was a nice feeling to be totally in the wind but i could only handle about an hour max - missed my Glide windshield big time as well as didnt appreciate having to clean all my gear from all the flies etc - i'll stick to the Glide

Old 10-11-2010, 04:02 PM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine has been on my bike for probably 200 of the 2200 miles I've put on it since the end of August. It's okay when it's below 40, but I prefer a closed face helmet and no windshield. The buffeting alone of the stocker is enough for me to leave it off most of the time.

Old 10-11-2010, 04:11 PM
Corndog
Cruiser

I'm 58 years old. I rode my RKC on the highway without the windshield for the first time and felt something flapping on my face. I leaned over and looked in the mirror. It was my skin flowing in waves in the wind! Guess I'm too old to ride without the shield. Besides, I'd hate to get a June bug or a rock to the face. I'm ugly enough the way it is!

Old 10-11-2010, 04:18 PM
stewy1200c
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Use mine this time of year when the weather gets cold, during the summer only if theres a chance of rain. prefer it off.

Old 10-11-2010, 04:23 PM
Bounty Hunter
Banned

I'm selling my Electra Glide Classic for a Road King just so I can ride without the windshield. It's all in the head, about riding w/o a windshield. Used to ride a low rider w/o a windshield and, sure, on the highway it was a pain in the ***, but off the highway it was the only way to ride for me.

Old 10-11-2010, 04:27 PM
big_al
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I rode my fatboy for years without a windshield and it was not a problem now after riding my SG for four years I dont know if I would be able to handle no windshield.

Old 10-11-2010, 04:32 PM
Fire-Medic
Road Warrior

When I traded in my Sporty I went with the RK because the windshield was detachable. Well the windshield has NEVER been off the bike since I got it. It's actually one of my favorite things of the entire bike, lol. A couple of days ago I went and test rode a 2011 Street Glide with the 103" and man did I LOVE that ride, was missing the tunes and the fairing on the way home from the dealer. If I would have known I was never going to take the windshield off I would have bought one of the batwing bikes instead of the RK. Makes a big difference even when comparing a bike with the windshield to the batwing.

Just my

Old 10-11-2010, 04:47 PM
1goindiesel
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The windshield that comes on the RK works great. I used mine most of the time (when I had a RK), my son is only 20 and he is just still wrapped up in the looks of the shield-off mode.
My dad is 73 and I think his only comes off to wash the bike.
A full face helmet or a 3/4 with full shield goes a long way to making the no-shield more enjoyable.

Old 10-11-2010, 05:03 PM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 5,295 Likes on 1,585 Posts

Mine is off unless I am doing a multi day tour. Then it comes off at the destination, until I'm moving on.

Apes don't like to hide behind a shield, but sometimes it's function over form.

Old 10-11-2010, 05:04 PM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by gaber6
on my RK Police...

Took the windshield off and made it halfway around the block and had to turn back.
Even with a shorty helmet with visor and glasses on at 35mph it was unbearable.
I can relate. I used to have a 12" KlockWerks.

Quick Reply: Tried riding without windshield