Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding Postion & Seat Comfort

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 08:15 AM
hullhorr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 182 Posts
Default Riding Postion & Seat Comfort

I have been using a C&C Solo with a backrest for close to a year now and I've been having issues with comfort on long rides. I figured the seat just wasn't going to be comfortable for me on my longer trips so I picked up a barely used Corbin Dual Tour on e-bay and have been on it for about a week. Took a nice long ride yesterday with a buddy, and no discomfort whatsoever.

With that being said I started to take note of my riding position being so completely different with these 2-seats. The C&C sits me low and back (I like this position) whereas the Corbin sits me high and forward. I'm reaching for the bars (so to speak) with the C&C and not so much with the Corbin. My C&C backrest was adjusted as far forward as it would go from day one.

New handlebars have been on my radar for a while and I'm wondering if they might very well modify my riding position to the point where my C&C becomes comfortable on long trips. Is it perhaps my riding position that is causing the discomfort and not the seat. If I'm reaching forward for the bars I'm not necessarily sitting on the seat the way I should be. The C&C is a beautiful well crafted seat that looks great on my bike and I want try what I can before giving up on it.

My Question: Have any of you had a seat that was uncomfortable and later became comfortable after changing something like the handlebars that modified your riding position?

Last edited by hullhorr; 10-11-2010 at 11:20 AM.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:24 PM
hullhorr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 182 Posts

Bump! Anybody?

Old 10-11-2010, 05:10 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ergo "back" bars on my SG seem to have made my C&C an all day no-fuss seat.

http://www.kustombaggers.com/browse....atalogId=-1750

Old 10-11-2010, 05:39 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

There are a lot of factors that play into long-distance comfort. The seat, the bars, and the highway pegs all can screw your ride up if they're not "right" for you.

For example, I went from a stock seat, stock bars, and the Short Offset highway peg mounts (which was good for 2 hours maximum), to a MCC seat that was lower and farther back, 575 bars, and Short Angled peg mounts. My feet and legs were happier, my shoulders and back were good, and my seat comfort went to 4 hours. But at the 4 hour point, I'd get stingers in my upper thighs. Went to the standard Billet peg mounts, those hurt my knees (no bend to them). Bought the DualTour and went back to the Short Angled, I can ride all day with no pain.

Point being, the bars and peg mounts make a difference, but the seat is the big thing. C&C makes good-looking seats, but the Corbin is all-day comfortable (and by all-day, I mean 14-15 hours).

Old 10-11-2010, 09:05 PM
smithbrl
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a Reach seat so my short legs can reach the ground. It is comfortable enough but I was also reaching for the bars because of my short arms. I installed the HD 2" pullback bars and adjustable backrest (which stays all the way forward most of the time) and the short offset hiway pegs. I also installed a Clearview recurve windshield to keep my head from bouncing around.

I am now very happy with my setup and can ride comfortably for a lot longer than I could before. My back doesn't burn between my shoulders and I'm not having to move left and right, forward and back on the seat as I used to have to do. I can put my feet on the floorboards, put my heels on the floorboards and my toes on the hiway pegs, or put my feet on the hiway pegs. The backrest gives my back the support it needs so I can sit up straight, which I can do now since I'm not reaching for the bars.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:18 PM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Since I put a Mustang with backrest I have ridden as far as 650 miles a day with zero discomfort. And of course like you already mentioned a set of bars that come further back may alleviate part of your problem. Also as mentioned highway pegs adjusted properly make all the difference in the world.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:25 PM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Since I put a Mustang with backrest I have ridden as far as 650 miles a day with zero discomfort. And of course like you already mentioned a set of bars that come further back may alleviate part of your problem. Also as mentioned highway pegs adjusted properly make all the difference in the world.