Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you have a batwing fairing please read!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010 | 09:34 PM
ThaGlyde
|
Road Master
Default If you have a batwing fairing please read!

I left Richmond VA on my way to Ga and we were haulin ****! the whole way down on i95 we did between 85-95. Well at these speeds i was getting a slight wobble on my eglide. about the same wobble that my dad and uncle speak of that happens on a road king. I asked the mechanic what it was before i left and he told me some shoddy **** like "I think its your tour pack". after all this money, this is what he says to me. My TOUR PACK.....RIGHT. So while im down here my starter goes out. and i take it to the Motor Company close by (shout out to HD of Macon) and the guy tells me that my outer fairing was not on tight and my bolts at the top did not catch. Now i get it.... My outer fairing, which was loose, was just like the flimsy RK windshield at these speeds. I would have never known but since i do now, I would like to share with others. IF YOUR GOING THIS FAST, CHECK THE BOLTS ON THE OUTER JUST TO MAKE SURE THEIR TIGHT. I was going to go throw some more money into the bike because i couldn't bare the thought of that **** happening to me all of the time. The wobble definitely made me nervous as hell.

Old 10-09-2010 | 09:41 PM
artz
Road Master

thanks....I'll keep that bit of info handy.

Old 10-09-2010 | 09:51 PM
Damascus
Road Captain

Good to warn others, but let me get this straight ...

You're pushing an 800 pound sheet of plywood (aerodynamically) down the highway, near its upper speed limits, with a v-twin motor that is known world-wide to shimmy and shake like no other.

I have an 09 RK that hums along just great at 80 mph with a rock-solid windshield.

There may be an in line-4 sport tourer in your future because I think you are pushing your Harley like it was not meant to be pushed.

Take it easy on the old girl.

Old 10-09-2010 | 09:55 PM
ThaGlyde
|
Road Master

They say that 80 is good. 85 up is bad. my uncle had a 117 in his king and my dad had a 103. They are pushing it to the limits. When i had the glide up there before had no problems. The only time i started having these problems is when i picked the bike up from the shop after they replaced the brass inserts across the top of the inner fairing and then put the aftermarket chrome screws in it, which werent long enough to hold.

Old 10-09-2010 | 10:00 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member

I don't know how long you've owned your '01 but I have only owned my '08 for 3 years and I can assure you that if my outer fairing was loose enough to cause the front end to wobble I would have noticed it when I cleaned or did any maintenance to the bike.

Old 10-09-2010 | 10:02 PM
pandol34
Tourer

Took my batwing off and found two mounting struts broken. Thanks for the heads-up.

Old 10-09-2010 | 10:02 PM
Gruamach
Road Warrior

I had a rattle underneath my brand new SG...took it back to dealer and a day later I find out it was just a loose muffler clamp *smacks self on head for not checking that*

Much like the old computer hardware trouble-shooting motto of "First thing: check for loose cables"....

"Always check for loose bolts...EVERYWHERE"

Think I'll add that to the monthly checklist along with tire pressure and fluids and such.

Old 10-09-2010 | 10:08 PM
ThaGlyde
|
Road Master

i can be assured that all of you dont ride as fast and as hard as i do but just be aware of what could happen if you dont check for yourself and leave it up to your mechanic. Just dont over tighten them because you can count on them stripping or spinning inside the plastic bracket they were made in. I guess my only suggestion to this is to make sure they are not loose.

Old 10-09-2010 | 10:19 PM
desertwolf
Road Master

Thanks for the heads up.

Old 10-10-2010 | 08:40 AM
Reverend
Tourer

good info

Quick Reply: If you have a batwing fairing please read!