Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you have a batwing fairing please read!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010 | 09:18 AM
ColoSpgsMark
Road Captain

When I installed my J&M speakers on my new FLHX, I found one of the inner fairing mounting screws totally loose - it was only screwed in half way. Everything within is now tight.

Mark

Old 10-10-2010 | 09:23 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member

I take my fairing off at least 5 times a year to check and meke sure all is where it is supposed to be...Peace of mind...

Old 10-10-2010 | 09:28 AM
ja57
Seasoned HDF Member

Thanks for the heads up.

Old 10-10-2010 | 09:35 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by gasneed85low
They say that 80 is good. 85 up is bad. my uncle had a 117 in his king and my dad had a 103. They are pushing it to the limits. When i had the glide up there before had no problems. The only time i started having these problems is when i picked the bike up from the shop after they replaced the brass inserts across the top of the inner fairing and then put the aftermarket chrome screws in it, which werent long enough to hold.
I am kind of guessing the pulled out brass inserts and lose fasteners happened when the painted inner fairing was installed...I just have to wonder how this is a motor co. issue...I couldn't help but notice you have a detachable tour pak on your bike...The extra height and how heavy it is packed has a lot to do with how the bike handles at high and low speeds.

Old 10-10-2010 | 10:17 AM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Supporter

Uh . . . Yeah !!

Originally Posted by geezer glide 56
I am kind of guessing the pulled out brass inserts and lose fasteners happened when the painted inner fairing was installed...I just have to wonder how this is a motor co. issue...I couldn't help but notice you have a detachable tour pak on your bike...The extra height and how heavy it is packed has a lot to do with how the bike handles at high and low speeds.

Old 10-10-2010 | 10:59 AM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jim Dawson
I don't know how long you've owned your '01 but I have only owned my '08 for 3 years and I can assure you that if my outer fairing was loose enough to cause the front end to wobble I would have noticed it when I cleaned or did any maintenance to the bike.
+1 clean your own bike every ride you will find everything or anything loose most likely. Don't count on someone else it's your bike and your life BTW slow down there is tomorrow and many many more to enjoy the ride.

Old 10-10-2010 | 11:35 AM
inverse121
Tourer

Good information OP for those that don't normally check or have overtightened their bolts.

Originally Posted by Damascus
Good to warn others, but let me get this straight ...

You're pushing an 800 pound sheet of plywood (aerodynamically) down the highway, near its upper speed limits, with a v-twin motor that is known world-wide to shimmy and shake like no other.

I have an 09 RK that hums along just great at 80 mph with a rock-solid windshield.

There may be an in line-4 sport tourer in your future because I think you are pushing your Harley like it was not meant to be pushed.

Take it easy on the old girl.
Originally Posted by Punjabi HD
+1 clean your own bike every ride you will find everything or anything loose most likely. Don't count on someone else it's your bike and your life BTW slow down there is tomorrow and many many more to enjoy the ride.
You guys have got to be kidding about speed and telling him he's at his limits and to slow down.

My 88" 1999 FLHT has no problem running those speeds without a wobble.

When on the slab and I want to move out, the bike should move out safely.
I know its called a Geezer Glide, but his bike should easlily handle 80-85 mph all day long.

I'll make sure I wave the next time I pass on the interstate with my 34 year old hand shift pogo seat shovel doing 85 mph.

Old 10-10-2010 | 12:17 PM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior

After looking at your bike a little closer I noticed the tour pak is not a quick detach...But you have police saddle bags on it which requires putting spacers under the tour pak to raise it enough for the saddle bags to open...I am glad they solved your fairing issue but I would be real careful how heavy that tour pak is loaded being as high as it is.

Old 10-10-2010 | 12:27 PM
okieboyinaz
Cruiser

80 to 85 is not "pushing" it. Just yesterdayI rode my road king 85-90 for about 90 miles straight. No shimmy or shaking, and one handed for extended amounts of time. Smooth sailin, didnt feal like i was really pushin the bike too much either. Now 95 and up might be a little much. Glad you figured out what was goin on with your scoot, should be good to go at those speeds now.

Old 10-10-2010 | 12:43 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member

i just don't get this high speed wobble, Death wobble or what ever.

Maybe some people should not ride fast if they don't know what a bike does over 75 mph.

Thanks for the heads up but most issue end up with maintenance or modifications gone bad.

Quick Reply: If you have a batwing fairing please read!