Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle sticking

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 11:34 AM
swomack
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Throttle sticking

The tech adjusted and lubed my throttle cables at the 1K service a couple of weeks back and the bike road home fine (95 miles). The next time I went to warm it up I cracked the throttle standing next to the bike and the it stuck open. I shut the motor off and twisted the throttle back and forth and wiggled the cables where they enter the housing. I heard a small "click" sound and it started closing again. It has worked fine for three weeks until I let go of it this morning and it stayed where it was. It's not tight or in a bind but you just have to twist it closed. Usually the spring snaps it back just fine. I have the stock housings with HD flame grips. Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 09-15-2006, 12:39 PM
RobMay
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Throttle sticking

I had the same problem with mine after installing some custom grips. The click you heard was the throttle cable stop at the other end of the cable stopping against the back plate of you air cleaner. The problem probably lies within your housing where the cables are looped around your hand grip. The molded piece that the cables ride in gets hung on the channel in the housing on the return of the throttle (letting off the gas) and hangs there which will freak you out pretty good if you are letting off to make a stop!!

If the dealer is not 95 miles away I would take it back to them to fix. If it is a pain and you are good with a wrench do it yourself. If the adjustment feels good (snaps back well on its own when not hanging up) then remove the housing and check for any imperfections in the plastic that houses the cables on the end of your handgrip. If there are any file them off. Make sure your handgrip is properly installed (doesn't slide in and out too much). Put her back together and ride catiously. I did all od the above and mine still sticks every now and then but I have not re adjusted my cables yet either and I need to as mine does not snap back like it should. USUALLY if it sticks on you you can force it shut by just twisting the throttle closed.

Rob

Old 09-15-2006, 12:46 PM
glide
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Take a look at the throttle lock under the grip ( the star shaped throttle lock). It may be tightened too much causing it to bind and keep the throttle from snapping closed .

Old 09-15-2006, 12:51 PM
swomack
Road Master

Everybodies been telling me to check the throttle lock, but mine doesn't have one (I wish it did). Do FI bikes or ones with cruise not come with a throttle lock? Mine has a hole at the bottom but no threads in it. ???

Old 09-15-2006, 12:53 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Also it can be caused by the two cable adjusters not being adjusted equal, you can loosen them and try turning one in just a touch to see if it frees up,
ORIGINAL: glide

Take a look at the throttle lock under the grip ( the star shaped throttle lock). It may be tightened too much causing it to bind and keep the throttle from snapping closed .

Old 09-15-2006, 12:59 PM
swomack
Road Master

It's free 99% of the time. I did a 150 round trip Wednseday night and not one problem. This morning it was free, then stuck, then free, then stuck. When it comes to buying sh@# with problems that are unique I can find them everytime.

Old 09-15-2006, 02:16 PM
nmfxstc
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is something you can try (there is a thread on this as well and may be additional replies)...that "click" sounds like it may be related to this, and the tweak is real easy to do:

Cruise Control Cable Lash Initialization
For Harley Touring Models

1.) With the Ignition off, push the right cruise switch to RESUME and hold it there.

2.) Push the left cruise on/off button to ON.

3.) Turn on the ignition switch and crank the engine. The GREEN ENGAGED light will illuminate for three seconds and go out. When it goes out, release the RESUME switch.

4.) With the bike still running, push the right cruise switch to RESUME again and hold it while the unit pulls in the slack in the cable. When the engine revs up a bit and the green light goes out again, release the RESUME button and turn the ignition switch off.

Old 09-15-2006, 04:39 PM
swomack
Road Master

I loosened the cables and it started working fine so I tightened the adjusters. It was fine at home but on the road it would stick, but not as bad. The pull cables is real snug against the housing and the other is got a little play, hair more than a 32nd, I'm going to readjust to make them equal with as little play as possible. Will that work?

Old 09-15-2006, 10:22 PM
BPD239
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was riding my Streetglide and had about 500 miles when I thought I saw something fall off the bike. Right after that I began to have problems with the throttle cable. I took the bike in at 1k for the service and the mechanic of course found nothing wrong. It only took me to the end of the driveway to begin having the same kinds of problems. I ended up ordering the chrome throttle cable clamp and it seems to have made it a lot better.

Old 09-15-2006, 10:28 PM
drod
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Look above and behind the air cleaner at the throttle body. The throttle cables should come straight down to the throttle body. Make sure the cables are not pulled forward. If they are pulled forward the cables will bind at the throttle body.

Quick Reply: Throttle sticking