Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Primary oil overfilling

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 06:47 PM
OklahomaSam
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Arizaino
I just changed my primary oil.......noticed the same thing, extra oil when I change it. I put in 32 oz and when I drain it, I put the old oil back into the oil bottle.......too much used oil to fit the 32 oz bottle. I've had to add oil to the engine on occasions...not much but I do add some. I also have a drip (not primary) from the primary side of the bike. That's what I attributed the oil addition to the engine to. Now, I have different thoughts after reading this post. Looks like I'll be taken her in for some service....03 EGC - 59K miles.
I had a leak as a result of the overfilled primary. It was coming from the rubber boot on the primary that routes the wires from the stator to the regulator.

Once I thought I knew where it was coming from, I sat and watched it for about five minutes after a ride, and it was letting a little bit of oil seep out that eventually coated the underside of the bike in oil and road grime.

The black primer-like paint made it real hard to spot.

Once I corrected the oil level, the leak stopped.

Last edited by OklahomaSam; 10-17-2010 at 08:26 AM.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:28 PM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nvsteve
I should have worded my post differently. I know that's how he found the problem. I'd bet many of us drain the oil before removing the derby. I won't do it that way any longer.
Thanks, have'nt thought about that. From now on Derby cover off first.

Old 10-17-2010, 12:56 PM
Arizaino
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by OklahomaSam
I had a leak as a result of the overfilled primary. It was coming from the rubber boot on the primary that routes the wires from the stator to the regulator.

Once I thought I knew where it was coming from, I sat and watched it for about five minutes after a ride, and it was letting a little bit of oil seep out that eventually coated the underside of the bike in oil and road grime.

The black primer-like paint made it real hard to spot.

Once I corrected the oil level, the leak stopped.
Great info....I'll check into that .....sure does make sense

Old 10-18-2010, 04:55 PM
OklahomaSam
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update:

Got the bike back, runs great, shifts like new, they cleaned it up, and I think added some gas.

The tech said he'd seen this issue before on other bikes and it was due to tolerance variances between the seal and the sprocket spacer resulting in a poor seal.

All there's left to do is keep an eye on it for awhile and make sure it's GTG. If so, the book can be closed on this.