Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When changing oil, why take off primary cover?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 07:59 PM
Kilokato
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When changing oil, why take off primary cover?

Just wondered, seems on the oil changing forums, they mostly talk about how to stop the oil spills when changing the filter. Then everyone talks about when they refill the oil they have to take off the primary cover to pour the new oil in. Why not just pour the new oil through the dipstick hole like on every other metric motorcycle I've owned???

Old 10-07-2010, 08:03 PM
Freebee
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most change the primary oil at the same interval as the crankcase.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:06 PM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 102 Posts

All you need to do is find the dipstick hole.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:13 PM
Freebee
Tourer

The primary chaincase has NO dipstick or fill hole. The engine crankcase HAS a dipstick / fill hole. To service the PRIMARY oil you need to remove the cover to refill, unless you have an earlier modle with a tensioner inspecion plate.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:14 PM
Freebee
Tourer

Wow sorry no spell check on the mobil version.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:15 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Unless you take off the Derby cover, the only hole you have in the 96 and 103 engine primary's is the drain hole. Other than putting oil back in. you can check your Clutch adjustment with the Derby cover off.

Last edited by Ronp42; 10-07-2010 at 08:31 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:17 PM
yljkt
Banned

Originally Posted by Kilokato
Just wondered, seems on the oil changing forums, they mostly talk about how to stop the oil spills when changing the filter. Then everyone talks about when they refill the oil they have to take off the primary cover to pour the new oil in. Why not just pour the new oil through the dipstick hole like on every other metric motorcycle I've owned???
I need to see a thread where they say to pull the primary. Direct me. Can't be a HD forum. Derby cover for primary oil. But engine oil..uh...no.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:26 PM
Gadgetech
Club Member
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

I know on some motorcycles the oil is shared b/w the engine, tranny and primary. On the bigger HD motors (can't remember on Sporty) the only way to fill the primary is through the derby (not the primary cover as you say) cover. I use a different oil with friction modifiers in the primary anyway so shared oil wouldn't work for me. HDs have been this way as long as I have had them. Why compare a Harley to a metric anyway?

Old 10-07-2010, 08:28 PM
Kilokato
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mmmmm...I don't know anything about the different oils...Wow!.....All my previous metric bikes have had only crankcase oil....Thats why I took it to the dealer for the break-in service!...This is all great info guys!...another stupid question, just how many different engine/trans oils does my 2010 SG have???....I'm a newbie btw....lol

Old 10-07-2010, 08:31 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kilokato
Mmmmm...I don't know anything about the different oils...Wow!.....All my previous metric bikes have had only crankcase oil....Thats why I took it to the dealer for the break-in service!...This is all great info guys!...another stupid question, just how many different engine/trans oils does my 2010 SG have???....I'm a newbie btw....lol
Just don't ask which oil to use, or which is best, because you will then open up a whole **** storm of debate................

Quick Reply: When changing oil, why take off primary cover?