Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When changing oil, why take off primary cover?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 06:38 AM
pavin
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just remember when you adjust your clutch your engine and clutch should be cool.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:06 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kilokato
Yeah I hate the idea of paying someone to do something I've done my whole life! Changing the oil....I've never payed for that on anything I've ever owned...Maybe a service manual is a great idea...Thanks Everybody!!!
Service manual is a GREAT idea IMO. Hang around long enough and you will find the threads telling you to take it to a Kinko's and have it comb bound for $5.00+/- which is also well worth it.

I saw the post that threw you off.......iclick just kind of changed gears in the post and quit talking about oil filter mess to "think I will try this" about primary oil change.

Took me a little while to get used to the 3 oil areas vs a metric and then the added debate on whether to use three different types of lube (I do) vs one grade in all three "holes." Keep searching the posts and you will hit on a combo that makes sense to you.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:44 AM
jaymcgil19
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try going to youtube and do a search

Old 10-08-2010, 08:35 AM
teedubya
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

+1 on the service manual...............it's well worth it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-08-2010, 11:24 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Kilokato
Just wondered, seems on the oil changing forums, they mostly talk about how to stop the oil spills when changing the filter. Then everyone talks about when they refill the oil they have to take off the primary cover to pour the new oil in. Why not just pour the new oil through the dipstick hole like on every other metric motorcycle I've owned???

To refill the motors oil bag you do pour the oil through the dip stick hole. If you change the primary, a separate sealed unit, you drain it via a drain plug at the bottom back of the primary and refill through the derby cover hole. On earlier bikes you could refill the primary from the primary chain inspection cover or the derby cover hole, but the derby is the easiest. The later 96, 103 and 110's no longer have primary inspection covers so you must fill through the Derby cover hole. You can't refil the primary without the outer primary cover in place. The tranny is yet another separate unit with its own drain plug and fill hole.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:33 PM
wingfoot
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Whatever oil you choose in you bike, Don't put oil in the Primary with Friction Modifiers. It is not good for a wet clutch.

Old 10-08-2010, 01:24 PM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gadgetech
As already stated you can (and many people do) put 20W50 in all three "holes" (also called bags or boxes). There are discussions for years on what is the right thing to do. You do what you feel is necessary. Redline makes a V-Twin power pack which has 3 different oils for engine/tranny/primary. If your bike is newer (not sure when this started, maybe 2010) you need an extra qt. of primary oil b/c it calls for 38oz. The Owner's Manual will give you a good idea of where the drain plugs are and how much oil to replace with. If you feel comfortable doing so, you can save a great deal of money doing the oil service yourself.
38oz in the primary on my 08 as well

Old 10-08-2010, 01:37 PM
Hard Ride
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Been thinking about taking my spare primary cover and boring and tapping a hole the size of the trans hole...what you folks think....???

Old 10-08-2010, 01:53 PM
Clint55
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You guys aren't thinking this thing through. It a piece of cake. Just drain the primary, then filp the bike over and add in the new fluid through the drian plug.

Viola!!

Last edited by Clint55; 10-08-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:01 PM
MotorMedic
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by teedubya
+1 on the service manual...............it's well worth it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
+1 on the manual. Look around the threads to decide what you may want to use in each hole (like A$$#@!es, everyone's got an opinion). Fix my Hog DVDs were also very helpful to me when I started doing my own maintenance a couple of years ago when I bought my first Harley. Combined with the manual, you'll be saving a ton of $$

Quick Reply: When changing oil, why take off primary cover?