Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When changing oil, why take off primary cover?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 08:36 PM
Kilokato
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok yljkt, here's the link about removing the primary cover when changing the oil....and punching a hole in the filter to drain it...lol

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...n-catcher.html

Old 10-07-2010, 08:38 PM
glide2005
Supporter
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You have whats commonly called 3 holes. Engine, primary, and tranny. Some use different oils in each one, but some use same oil in all three. Your choice, your bike, your money.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:05 PM
Gadgetech
Club Member
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Kilokato
Mmmmm...I don't know anything about the different oils...Wow!.....All my previous metric bikes have had only crankcase oil....Thats why I took it to the dealer for the break-in service!...This is all great info guys!...another stupid question, just how many different engine/trans oils does my 2010 SG have???....I'm a newbie btw....lol
As already stated you can (and many people do) put 20W50 in all three "holes" (also called bags or boxes). There are discussions for years on what is the right thing to do. You do what you feel is necessary. Redline makes a V-Twin power pack which has 3 different oils for engine/tranny/primary. If your bike is newer (not sure when this started, maybe 2010) you need an extra qt. of primary oil b/c it calls for 38oz. The Owner's Manual will give you a good idea of where the drain plugs are and how much oil to replace with. If you feel comfortable doing so, you can save a great deal of money doing the oil service yourself.

krazy3
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mmmmm...I don't know anything about the different oils...Wow!.....All my previous metric bikes have had only crankcase oil....Thats why I took it to the dealer for the break-in service!...This is all great info guys!...another stupid question, just how many different engine/trans oils does my 2010 SG have???....I'm a newbie btw....lol
That information should be in your Owners Manual

1stultra
Cruiser

Kilokato,

For sixty bucks you can buy the service manual and get to know your new toy a little better. I know I've enjoyed doing all my own service work and its saved me a good bit of cash at the same time.

Last edited by 1stultra; 10-07-2010 at 09:09 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:12 PM
yljkt
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok yljkt, here's the link about removing the primary cover when changing the oil....and punching a hole in the filter to drain it...lol

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...n-catcher.html
Still not seeing where someone says to remove the primary case?

Old 10-07-2010, 09:21 PM
DPete
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 1,735 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Originally Posted by yljkt
Still not seeing where someone says to remove the primary case?
not the case, the little round cover about 5" in dia. also a good time to adjust your clutch while it's off

Old 10-07-2010, 09:49 PM
pittz5
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by DPete
not the case, the little round cover about 5" in dia. also a good time to adjust your clutch while it's off
That would be called the "derby cover"

Old 10-07-2010, 10:24 PM
bmaier
Road Warrior
Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

Three, engine, primary and transmission

Old 10-08-2010, 05:06 AM
Kilokato
Tourer

Yeah I hate the idea of paying someone to do something I've done my whole life! Changing the oil....I've never payed for that on anything I've ever owned...Maybe a service manual is a great idea...Thanks Everybody!!!

Quick Reply: When changing oil, why take off primary cover?