Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crankcase breather bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 05:08 PM
FLoTR
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Crankcase breather bolts?

I've got an '09 with the stage one air cleaner, vented to the air intake and I'm wetting the filter with oil. I know,,,, alot have had this problem. I couldn't find anything thru search so,,,,, can I use the crankcase breather bolts from an earlier 88" carburated model air cleaner kit in my fuel injected '09? If I can I'll be able to take fresh air only AND save my filter.

Old 10-07-2010, 05:58 PM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It still needs to breathe.
Are you going to vent it to the atmosphere?
Have you looked at the Doherty setup?

Old 10-07-2010, 06:34 PM
FLoTR
Road Master

Originally Posted by BadPiggy
It still needs to breathe.
Are you going to vent it to the atmosphere?
Have you looked at the Doherty setup?
Yeah, the atmosphere, or stratosphere, i dont care. I just dont want it in my intake.. Black fuel line off of the nipples, back and down to the ground like I did on my '03. That's why I'm asking if the crankcase breather bolts are the same thread size and length as the early twin cams.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:34 PM
jasnusc
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like you and many others I have this same problem.

Just took it in for the 10k service and they said I had a bad rocker box cover gasket. Going to pick it up today doubtful it will resolve my issue.

Which bolts are you talking about? Unlike other setups there is no way to tie into my Stage 1 backing plate without tapping it or something. Its all solid 1 piece backing plate.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:37 PM
jasnusc
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HD just came out with a new Breather Valve design that comes stock on all 2011 bikes. Im assuming they are aware of this problem and thats why they changed it.

You can buy them from the dealer, pull your tank, remove your rocker covers and install them pretty easily. If the valve works better it should allow the oil to drain back faster. Doherty sells an aftermarket version of this kit for 88" motors not 96" that is supposed to do the same thing.

The HD Breather will be my next step.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:37 PM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The bolt thread sizes are the same...but I'm not so sure about the length.
Sorry I can't help you further.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:39 PM
FLoTR
Road Master

Originally Posted by jasnusc
Like you and many others I have this same problem.

Just took it in for the 10k service and they said I had a bad rocker box cover gasket. Going to pick it up today doubtful it will resolve my issue.

Which bolts are you talking about? Unlike other setups there is no way to tie into my Stage 1 backing plate without tapping it or something. Its all solid 1 piece backing plate.

I know. It's the breather bolts that mount the back plate to the heads. The early style breathed thru the head of the bolt, and a tube slipped on it that was supposed to route into the breather element. Mine went to the ground right behind the oil fill and tank.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:40 PM
FLoTR
Road Master

I bet Dawg knows

Old 10-10-2010, 09:16 PM
1fathog
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my 2010 Ultra I changed to FuelMoto stage one air cleaner with the chrome mounting bracket and bolts. These bolts do not allow breathing like the originals bolts. I've rode about 1500 miles and it doesnt appear to pose any problems or any oil leaks. Should I be concerned? Am I building up internal pressure inside the motor? I think I better call Jamie on Tuesday to clarify this question...

Old 10-10-2010, 10:58 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1fathog
On my 2010 Ultra I changed to FuelMoto stage one air cleaner with the chrome mounting bracket and bolts. These bolts do not allow breathing like the originals bolts. I've rode about 1500 miles and it doesnt appear to pose any problems or any oil leaks. Should I be concerned? Am I building up internal pressure inside the motor? I think I better call Jamie on Tuesday to clarify this question...
they do allow breathing. The backing plate is drilled such that they exit into the throat of the TB without any tubes or hoses added on. If you were running without the heads being able to veny for 1500 miles you would blown a gasket/seal already.

Quick Reply: Crankcase breather bolts?