Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crankcase breather bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 12:51 AM
Navy UC Rider
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jasnusc
HD just came out with a new Breather Valve design that comes stock on all 2011 bikes. Im assuming they are aware of this problem and thats why they changed it.

You can buy them from the dealer, pull your tank, remove your rocker covers and install them pretty easily. If the valve works better it should allow the oil to drain back faster. Doherty sells an aftermarket version of this kit for 88" motors not 96" that is supposed to do the same thing.

The HD Breather will be my next step.

Do you have a part number for that? I just put everything back to stock on my bike (had the FM power pack). Had to go back, was rear ended and the pipe ends were messed up enough to annoy me, so I will be on the hunt for new pipes. Anyway, when I pulled the FM A/C off, there was a good bit of standing oil in the filter.

Cale

Old 10-11-2010, 01:13 PM
Gruamach
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My bike came with the Heavy Breather, and am going to try to make up a breather kit by taking the caps off and running some tubing down to a T-joint with a filter.

If it works, should work for the Stage 1 breather as well.
I'll post update when I get away from work long enough to try it.

Old 10-11-2010, 03:00 PM
keith t
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have meant to post a separate thread about the Doherty mystfree breather modules sooner but this seems like a good spot as well. For the last few weeks I have be whining here about the AC drips. I did install the mystfree and whined that there was still blow by but lately it seems to have worked. I did have some initial blow by when I put them in, and I got down to about 3 qt or just a little under over about a month's time. In the last few days I have been dumping a few ounces in at a time and am up to 3.5 qt with no drip or blow by. The only other thing I did was to take the back plate off and watch the oil accumulate where the breather bolts would be. Can't say why the drips have stopped, but so far so good and it would seem the mystfree is doing the job.
Firedog -Tulsa OK
09 Ultra Classic Electra Glide SE106/251 cams/SEPST/ V&H Power Duals & Monster Ovals/lots of bolt on stuff

Old 10-12-2010, 04:31 PM
jasnusc
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Navy UC Rider
Do you have a part number for that? I just put everything back to stock on my bike (had the FM power pack). Had to go back, was rear ended and the pipe ends were messed up enough to annoy me, so I will be on the hunt for new pipes. Anyway, when I pulled the FM A/C off, there was a good bit of standing oil in the filter.

Cale
I don't Im Sorry!

Old 10-13-2010, 07:21 PM
FLoTR
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gruamach
My bike came with the Heavy Breather, and am going to try to make up a breather kit by taking the caps off and running some tubing down to a T-joint with a filter.

If it works, should work for the Stage 1 breather as well.
I'll post update when I get away from work long enough to try it.
What caps are you talking about? Hope you have some pics.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:38 PM
RCinLaveen
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had my factory air filter replaced about 2k mi. ago, and I pulled it today to look at how I could fab up my own air cleaner. I noticed that there were two spots where oil is collecting, even with the stock set up. May not be as bad as others have described here though.

Question: with an aftermarket filter setup, would it be possible to attach the two hoses to a small common filter and mount it slightly above the outlets on the head so that the oil can drain back into the head?

Old 10-13-2010, 09:58 PM
Turbo ray 44
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default solution

call Ted @ www.et-performance.com
more power and zero leak w/o hoses.

Originally Posted by FLoTR
I've got an '09 with the stage one air cleaner, vented to the air intake and I'm wetting the filter with oil. I know,,,, alot have had this problem. I couldn't find anything thru search so,,,,, can I use the crankcase breather bolts from an earlier 88" carburated model air cleaner kit in my fuel injected '09? If I can I'll be able to take fresh air only AND save my filter.