Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Q for Those Who Have Ridden to Alaska

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 08:16 PM
jimclaypool
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wreckman
Oley
Did you ride a HD bagger? I have read that a lot of people have tire problems because of the road. Is there a big concern with hitting wildlife?
I had no tire problems. Did get both front and rear replaced on the way back at Prince George HD in British Columbia. They were just worn out and did have some tread cuts in them. The roads up there are very hard on tires!! I did get a rock in my drive belt that punctured all the way through. I picked the rock out and rode it all the way back. Got the belt replaced at my home dealer here in Virginia. It was in bad shape and I think I was very lucky it didn't break in two on the trip!

Old 10-07-2010, 08:29 PM
jimclaypool
Tourer

Oley
Did you ride a HD bagger? I have read that a lot of people have tire problems because of the road. Is there a big concern with hitting wildlife?
Also, I forgot to answer your question "Is there a big concern with hitting wildlife?" The answer is YES!! I saw black bears, grizzly bear, elk, moose, wolves, deer and I am sure some other animals that I have forgot, running across the road! For the most part, the Alaska Highway is maintained with the trees cut back nicely. This gives you the opportunity, if you are paying close attention, to see and anticipate wildlife crossing the road so you can slow down or stop (that is what I did with the grizzly bear that crossed right in front of me!!). I never had a single close call on the entire trip (maybe a little luck there!!). Seriously you do have to pay very close attention to the wildlife on a trip like that.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:34 PM
oley55
Road Captain

Oley
yep an 08 Road Glide. to be clear my route did not take me up the Dalton to the circle. I did swap out my low profile Roland Sands front wheel/tire for a 16" OEM so that I would have as much tire compression as possible. I did also go back to stock suspension front and rear, and really glad I did. Otherwise I'd have been bottoming out almost constantly. I also put Ultra Seal tire sealant in my tires.

saw plenty of god's gritters out there and had a few close encounters. but no more than most anywhere else. That is except for that heard of 25+ Bison in the middle of the road. Fortunately a couple in a Rav4 came along and agreed to run interference. Here are links to my Spot Adventures for this trip:

http://www.spotadventures.com/trip/view?trip_id=213620
http://www.spotadventures.com/trip/view?trip_id=213817

Old 10-07-2010, 08:52 PM
oley55
Road Captain

Originally Posted by jimclaypool
I had no tire problems. Did get both front and rear replaced on the way back at Prince George HD in British Columbia. They were just worn out and did have some tread cuts in them. The roads up there are very hard on tires!! I did get a rock in my drive belt that punctured all the way through. I picked the rock out and rode it all the way back. Got the belt replaced at my home dealer here in Virginia. It was in bad shape and I think I was very lucky it didn't break in two on the trip!
a good point on tire wear, my riding buddy had a bald rear tire when we reached Fairbanks, while mine had another 5K miles of tread left. I did go with Elite 3'sd for this ride while he was running on the standard 402's. But I believe the wear difference was my 08 had the rear isolator drive system while is 06 did not.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:26 PM
J-FRAME
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That movie did a poor job showing the roads IMHO but each to his own.Why did he go so early in the spring ?? and drive shaft bikes do better as far as getting rocks under your final drive belt a common problem on the AK hwy for Harleys.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:35 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

I went to time the arival at the end of June. That is when there is almost 24 hours of daylight in case you are behind schedule and want to press on.

don't stop at the beginning of the Dalton just press on another 150 miles to the Arctic Circle Park.

Everyone I checked with when planning the trip said to get the Milepost. I did and found out the HD atlas had much more detail as far as the maps go. The Milepost lists the motels and services along the route. Well not exactly. It lists the ones that paid the $1,000 fee to be published.

Google each town on the Alaskan Highway and write down the phone numbers of the motels. Then each morning when you get up and decide how far you are going that day call ahead. It is not possible to get a room latter in the day in most places.

this is a sign on the Dalton to a restaurant, gas station and motel that is before the Arctic Circle.

Take a lot of pictures as there are many scenic views.

If your bike can go 150 miles between fill ups you are okay. But it is still best to carry at least a one gallon container.

My sons and I stayed at a great bed and breakfast in Fairbanks.pat@aaaacare.com. the owner Pat Obrist was a great host and had a wealth of ideas for things to do around the area. She has an area behind the Inn for more secure motorcycle parking.

At the Arctic Circle Park - If you don't want to ride there you can take a tour bus.

Last edited by lh4x4; 10-07-2010 at 11:43 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:39 PM
J-FRAME
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on one gallon spare gas- did you ever push a Harley ??

Old 10-08-2010, 12:11 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

I put a st of d407/408 on before I left to KW to start teh HHC, the tires made it there and vack, think ttal was 16k miles. rode an 09 UC with HQ 107. rode pretty agressive too.

Originally Posted by oley55
a good point on tire wear, my riding buddy had a bald rear tire when we reached Fairbanks, while mine had another 5K miles of tread left. I did go with Elite 3'sd for this ride while he was running on the standard 402's. But I believe the wear difference was my 08 had the rear isolator drive system while is 06 did not.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:48 AM
mtbottles
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

A friend of mine is riding from Toms River, New Jersey to Alaska and then down to South America. He is currently working his way down south from Alaska and is in California now.

Check out his blog. It has some information that you might find helpful.

http://fromdeadhorsedown.wordpress.com/

Old 10-08-2010, 06:41 AM
jungljim69
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You do need papers BUT, the US Department of State also offers a Passport Card in addition to the full passport. They card is good for land and sea travel between the US and Mexico, Canada, the Caribbean and Bermuda. Cheaper than a passport too!

Quick Reply: Q for Those Who Have Ridden to Alaska