Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alignment tool.........

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006 | 12:12 AM
RobMay
|
Novice
Default Alignment tool.........

My buddy has an 06 FLHTCUI and had the 95ci upgrade done. It clearly states in the HD Manual(the $75.00 one not the one that comes with the bike ) that the bike MUST be aligned after this upgrade. Our local HD shop performed the operation and when he questioned them about the alignment they said they test rode it and it was fine and did not need one. ??
They also had their alignment tool on loan to their sister shop in Cyrstal River he was told on another occasion after inquiring.
Well, he started looking to purchase his own alignment tool and found some company in Canada that makes most of the tools for the US (OTC or TLC or something with a O and a C in it) and the referred him to a distributer which was a national parts chain that happened to be a supplier to his garage (he's a mechanic). So he called the parts manager at this national parts chain about getting one from this Canadian company and after lots of calling around he was told that they could only sell that alignment tool to an official HD service shop and no one else. ??? I called a dealer out of town and gave them the part # HD46247 (I think) and as soon as I gave the parts manager the number he said he could tell me right away that he could not get that part from HD but would inquire about an after market tool. This was a simular response I got from my local dealer about a month ago and have never heard back from the on it.

So all that to ask this: does anyone know where my friend can purchase an alignment tool for his (and my ) own personal use???

Thanks !!

Rob

Old 09-15-2006 | 12:21 AM
berettag
Road Captain
Default RE: Alignment tool.........

What kind of alignment and tool are you talking about?

Old 09-15-2006 | 12:22 AM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member

Might try J&P or dennis kirk they carry a variety of special tools for harleys, or just try a different dealer. Not much sence to buy a expensive special tool to use it once.

Old 09-15-2006 | 12:05 PM
RobMay
|
Novice

ORIGINAL: berettag

What kind of alignment and tool are you talking about?
To align the engine with the frame so that the primary/belt drive are not out of align which can cause vibrations at usually 2500 to 3000 rpms. That vibration is not the nature of the beast.

Old 09-15-2006 | 12:59 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member

That's only going to apply when you pull the motor out of the frame, like to split the cases. This is NOT done when installing a 95" big bore kit.

Forget it & go ride!

Old 09-15-2006 | 03:22 PM
MixedNuts
Tourer

The tools you're refering to align the engine/trans and swing arm with the frame to make sure the rear wheel tracks behind the front wheel. They're sold by Kent Moore and cost a small fortune.
The engine and trans are married together and the rear swing arm pivot goes through the rear of the trans and to the frame.
By adjusting the joint at the front of the engine will affect the way the rear wheel tracks behind the front.
Also you need to watch the vertical plane of the rear wheel in relation to the front as well if you adjust the front.
In my opinion if the engine is removed from the bike, an alignment is a must any time you fool around with the front mount.
The special tools force the engine and trans in line through the pivot for the swing arm.
I'm going to use 2 straight edges along each side of the wheels and adjust from there.
Let us know how you make out.

Old 09-15-2006 | 03:45 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: PhilM

That's only going to apply when you pull the motor out of the frame, like to split the cases. This is NOT done when installing a 95" big bore kit.

Forget it & go ride!
The 95 kit in my bike was installed without removing the crankcase. That's not to say it would not hurt to check the alignment or condition of the attach points on a regular basis.

Old 09-15-2006 | 04:09 PM
MixedNuts
Tourer

Oh OK, since the mounts have not been disturbed you really don't need to perfom an alignment. Wouldn't hurt to check it from time to time though.

Old 09-15-2006 | 04:11 PM
MixedNuts
Tourer

My bike pulls to the left. So I'm going to wait 'til it's out of warranty then perform an alignment myself.
(came that way from the factory)The HD rep says it's acceptable.[:'(]

Old 09-15-2006 | 04:17 PM
suicide441
Cruiser

I'd make the service rep ride it and then ask if it right. If it doesn't track true it will wear out tires and steering components and could be an accident waiting to happen.

Quick Reply: Alignment tool.........