Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alignment tool.........

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008 | 09:49 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Alignment tool.........

ORIGINAL: RobMay

So all that to ask this: does anyone know where my friend can purchase an alignment tool for his (and my ) own personal use???

Thanks !!

Rob
This works on my '86 FXR. I haven't looked into it yet on the FLTR, but I don't see why it wouldn't work............

If you have access to a lift with a wheel clamp, clamp the front wheel & use a magnetic level on one of the brake rotors to insure that it is completely vertical. Next, place the level on the rear brake rotor & insure that it is veritcal. If it isn't the top heim link will adjust the motor/transmission/frame alignment to vertical. Once you have the alignment corrected for the verticle, move on to aligning the wheels. Use a long straight edge to verify the front & rear wheel are in line. If there is any difference the front heim link will make the adjustment. When you are satisfied with the wheel alignment re-check the veritcal. If there is no change, you're good to go.

Not a difficult procedure & no need for overpriced specialty tools...........

Old 06-01-2008 | 09:58 PM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: PhilM

That's only going to apply when you pull the motor out of the frame, like to split the cases. This is NOT done when installing a 95" big bore kit.

Forget it & go ride!
Phil,
As you know, I've totally disassembled my scoot a had fresh paint laid upon it.
While your statement is somewhat true, it's not entirely true.
The MAIN use for the alignment jig is to align the upper/lower heim joints at the motor mounts.
If you disassemble your scoot, reassemble using the same frame/swingarm/blah blah blah...and never turn these heim joints...
re-alignment is not necessary.

As for the original poster purchasinghis very own tool...get your heart right...to the tune of $700 smackers, available from www.jimsusa.com

Old 06-02-2008 | 02:12 PM
Manish_Hawg
Outstanding HDF Member

The string, straight edge, laser techniques referenced in later part of this thread are great for ensuring that the "wheel alignment" or "track" is properly setup, but the Kent-Moore tool that was mentioned is for engine alignment in the frame. It is what is used to properly adjust the turnbuckles that align the engine/transmission in the frame.

Both exercises need to be done to ensure complete alignment. I talked to the lead tech @ a dealership in south TX a year or so ago regarding this engine alignment exercise and he told me that he could make just about any NEW bike off the showroom floor ride better by using one of the slignment "jigs" on it.

If you really want one, you need to buddy up with someone in the svc dept and "persuede" them to order one for you.... (don't as how I know ).
And to add to Phil's commentmy buddy is the lead mech. at the Dealership and they wouldn't let him get onebecause he doesn't own a Harley. They told him he was either going to sell it or do side work and refused his order.

Old 06-02-2008 | 02:13 PM
Manish_Hawg
Outstanding HDF Member

Sounds like a Road trip to Phil's place.

Old 06-02-2008 | 06:53 PM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Manish_Hawg

And to add to Phil's commentmy buddy is the lead mech. at the Dealership and they wouldn't let him get onebecause he doesn't own a Harley. They told him he was either going to sell it or do side work and refused his order.
www.jimsusa.com
2007 Catalog
Page 181