Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alignment tool.........

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006 | 04:36 PM
RobMay
|
Novice
Default RE: Alignment tool.........

Thats what we were thinking. Regardless of removing the engine or not if there are tracking or vibration issues that have been chased down every other avenue and then given the ole "thats acceptable" line (I get so stinking tired of hearing that) the MAYBE the alignment should REALLY be checked.

Rob

Old 09-15-2006 | 06:07 PM
pmcnamee
Stage IV

Hey Rob, sounds like you know what you are talking about. Have you found a new 07 Screaming Eagle Ultra yet?
Phil

Old 09-16-2006 | 10:55 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member

Hey RobMay,try calling Kent-Moore for the tool (HD 46247)PH 1-800-345-2233

Old 05-31-2008 | 04:51 PM
skipshd@hotmail.com
Stage II

would anyone like to join a class action suit against kent-moore/spx solutions/harley davidson. i too have tried in vein to obtain part #hd-46247 and have been given lame excuses at over twenty five different harley dealerships i have also tried purchasing the tool directly from kent moore/spx solutions to no avail i've been told, off the record of course that harley won't allow the alignment tool to be sold to the general public because harley doesn't want their service departmentsto lose any money. this practice is illegal.and could you imagine if someone did purchase this tool they might even do the unthinkable like helping out a fellow biker with said tool.the line forms to the right

Old 05-31-2008 | 05:41 PM
cirhere2
Road Captain
Old 05-31-2008 | 07:20 PM
planewrench
Advanced

ORIGINAL: MixedNuts

The tools you're refering to align the engine/trans and swing arm with the frame to make sure the rear wheel tracks behind the front wheel. They're sold by Kent Moore and cost a small fortune.
The engine and trans are married together and the rear swing arm pivot goes through the rear of the trans and to the frame.
By adjusting the joint at the front of the engine will affect the way the rear wheel tracks behind the front.
Also you need to watch the vertical plane of the rear wheel in relation to the front as well if you adjust the front.
In my opinion if the engine is removed from the bike, an alignment is a must any time you fool around with the front mount.
The special tools force the engine and trans in line through the pivot for the swing arm.
I'm going to use 2 straight edges along each side of the wheels and adjust from there.
Let us know how you make out.

Mixednuts knows what he's talking about. I haven't seen an '06 service manual, but the '07 manual gives an alternate alignment procedure if you don't have access to the alignment tools. It's fairly lengthy to describe, but as Mixed said, it calls out for two straight edges. It also describes the vertical alignment procedure.That's how I aligned my bike-- it was misaligned from the factory and pulled to the left. (OF course the mechanic at thedealership said this was normal and to "just slide your *** off to the right!").

Old 05-31-2008 | 08:37 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: skipshd@hotmail.com

would anyone like to join a class action suit against kent-moore/spx solutions/harley davidson. i too have tried in vein to obtain part #hd-46247 and have been given lame excuses at over twenty five different harley dealerships i have also tried purchasing the tool directly from kent moore/spx solutions to no avail i've been told, off the record of course that harley won't allow the alignment tool to be sold to the general public because harley doesn't want their service departmentsto lose any money. this practice is illegal.and could you imagine if someone did purchase this tool they might even do the unthinkable like helping out a fellow biker with said tool.the line forms to the right
Did ChooChoo change his username???

Old 06-01-2008 | 05:02 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member

The thing is, all of the Baggers I've ever ridden that had rubber mounted engines pulled to the left, so doing an alignment after a cylinder upgrade probably wouldn'tmake much difference.

I would have thought that with 105+ years of "designing expertise", the MOCO would be able to build bikes with the wheels in the middle, not offset to one side or the other. Guess not.

It probablywould be "cost prohibitive" for them to build bikes that look good AND track straight. Gotta save as much money as possiblewith design, testing andproduction to keep these machines reasonably priced!

My God! Whatta ya expect for only $20,000+ ?!?!

Good luck,

John

Old 06-01-2008 | 07:47 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member

All you need is a straightedge that will touch both tires in 2 places.It is a very simple procedure.

Old 06-01-2008 | 08:45 AM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member

The string, straight edge, laser techniques referenced in later part of this thread are great for ensuring that the "wheel alignment" or "track" is properly setup, but the Kent-Moore tool that was mentioned is for engine alignment in the frame. It is what is used to properly adjust the turnbuckles that align the engine/transmission in the frame.

Both exercises need to be done to ensure complete alignment. I talked to the lead tech @ a dealership in south TX a year or so ago regarding this engine alignment exercise and he told me that he could make just about any NEW bike off the showroom floor ride better by using one of the slignment "jigs" on it.

If you really want one, you need to buddy up with someone in the svc dept and "persuede" them to order one for you.... (don't as how I know ).

Quick Reply: Alignment tool.........