Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daytona bike week

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 09:47 PM
harleyman1340
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dmaldojr
I was planing on going to sturgis in 2011 but after I watched a show last nite you can't have apes that are over your shoulder. I'm a D.A.B so I really don't feel like getting harassed so maybe switching up and doing Daytona do they have silly *** laws like that over there
I remember something about a license plate having to be mounted horizontal.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:42 PM
SA315B
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by harleyman1340
Florida has the same laws about horizontal tag and no apes above your shoulder but I don't see how one state can enforce either rule when a bike is from another state. For instance, my truck windows are tinted to the maximum allowed in Florida which is illegal in Maryland but, since I have Florida tags, Maryland can’t ticket me when I’m passing through.

Old 12-28-2010, 02:34 PM
2WheelGlider
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You are subject to the laws of the state and or municipality you are driving or riding in regardless of laws where the vehicle is registered. With your logic, a person riding a motorcycle registered in Florida and possessing a valid Florida mc license would not be required to wear a helmet while riding in Georgia.

Old 12-29-2010, 02:02 AM
SA315B
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 2WheelGlider
You are subject to the laws of the state and or municipality you are driving or riding in regardless of laws where the vehicle is registered. With your logic, a person riding a motorcycle registered in Florida and possessing a valid Florida mc license would not be required to wear a helmet while riding in Georgia.
No, and I refer you back to my window tint analogy. Rider equipment is not the same thing as how a vehicle is equipped but I’ll tell you what, I ride with the Sheriff of Monroe County as well as the Sr. State Trooper for this area and I will check with both. I’ll post the answer either way and if you are right I’ll be glad to buy you a beer at Daytona.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:53 AM
electra glide
Road Captain

Buy him a beer. If you're bike is equipped with apes and horizontal tags, they can and often will get you in Daytona. I understand what you're saying, for example trailors don't need plates in Kentucky, but do in Ohio. So a KY trailoer can drive in Ohio w/ no reprocussion. But, that law does not carry as far as bikes and Daytona are concerned. It's B.S., but unfortunately the case.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:09 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dmaldojr
I was planing on going to sturgis in 2011 but after I watched a show last nite you can't have apes that are over your shoulder. I'm a D.A.B so I really don't feel like getting harassed so maybe switching up and doing Daytona do they have silly *** laws like that over there
Yes, they can ticket you for apes that are over your shoulders. Helps us keep you degenerate D.A.B. types in check.

On the other hand, there's not usually someone at the border with a tape measure. I don't think I'd let the minor chance of an equipment ticket keep me from a good time, or, I might modify the equipment that's keepin' me from both Sturgis & Bike Week.

BTW, I've had friends ticketed for handlebars & the cop told 'em just show it to the next guy. You only get one, it's sorta like a handlebar license..........

Old 12-29-2010, 10:20 AM
relli
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by electra glide
Buy him a beer. If you're bike is equipped with apes and horizontal tags, they can and often will get you in Daytona. I understand what you're saying, for example trailors don't need plates in Kentucky, but do in Ohio. So a KY trailoer can drive in Ohio w/ no reprocussion. But, that law does not carry as far as bikes and Daytona are concerned. It's B.S., but unfortunately the case.
and daytona s gettin bad. cops dont like us anymore. they want a more "family" oriented clientel in Dayton . Ormond is the new daytona

Old 12-29-2010, 10:21 AM
bill1nat
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

x3 on the bank and the Razorbacks.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:37 AM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by harleyman1340

Gov. Charlie Crist signed an amended bill (SB 1100) restoring the legality of the use of a vertical tag/vertical license plate for motorcycles and scooters, if it cannot be adjusted or flipped up to conceal the plate numbers; effective June 16, 2009.
Apes can not go higher than your shoulders. Mostly, in Daytona, if your ride sanely, the law will leave you alone. Ride like a jerk, rev-ing your engine at stop lights, and darting in and out of traffic will do what you expect: Draw the attention of law enforcement.
I live here, and I can tell you that the police have allot more to do than look for minor infractions. Just try not to give them a reason to pull you over. Like speeding,rev-ing engines at stop lights/signs,weaving in and out of traffic. Once you give them a reason to stop you, yeh.....they are going to go over details.
I got a ticket one Bike Week....for speeding at 2AM about 2 miles North of the Cabbage Patch Saloon. I slapped my forehead and said "DUH!".

Old 12-29-2010, 11:39 AM
shore
Stellar HDF Member
Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts

You don't get tickets here in Daytona unless you want one. No eye protection will get you one for sure though. Lot of people forget to bring clear glasses for the night ride home. Dark glasses at night or no glasses is a no-no. Riding like an azz will get you a trophy also. The city is tired of the noise and Bs. Daytona Beach Shores has always been bad. You can't be a scumbag and roll through there.

I've lived here many years and always had sportbikes. This will be my 1st time on a Harley. I'm a bit excited.

Quick Reply: Daytona bike week