Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gerbings dual control

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 08:53 AM
HDThunder
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought a bunch of Gerbing gear for my girlfriend and myself and two of the dual controllers. Between the Gerbing outlet site and Grand Prix Motorsports I found everything at close out prices. Except the controllers which were full price everywhere.

I bought two of the clip on cases for the controllers. Hopefully they work well.

On a semi related note - How much amperage can you safely draw off the HD charging system at one time? I'm guessing two sets of gear could draw upward of 25-30 amps and that's going to be too much. Anyone have some real world experience with pushing the limits of the stock touring bike charging system? How many amps is it rated for?

Last edited by HDThunder; 10-05-2010 at 08:56 AM.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:50 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,230 Likes on 1,292 Posts

Originally Posted by Pastor John
I had mine mounted on the tank with velcro once until I saw that it would create a problem to get off the bike without unzipping everything to get to where it connected inside the jacket. So most days I connect it to the belt on my riding jacket and just deal with the one connector.

Yup. That's what I do.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:28 AM
dougbk
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I clip mine to my left pocket of my coat, so it is easy to reach for adjustment.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:41 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hmmmm.....I might try this. I've been trying to figure this out for 4 years with no success. lol.

Originally Posted by Watch Guy
I just put a piece of velcro on the console and on the back of the controller. Really easy access and easy to remove. I just keep the controller in the saddlebag until needed.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:09 PM
halfbreed
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all your suggestions, I really appreciate them. Now I know what I am going to do.
Halfbreed

Old 10-06-2010, 10:06 PM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by HDThunder
I just bought a bunch of Gerbing gear for my girlfriend and myself and two of the dual controllers. Between the Gerbing outlet site and Grand Prix Motorsports I found everything at close out prices. Except the controllers which were full price everywhere.

I bought two of the clip on cases for the controllers. Hopefully they work well.

On a semi related note - How much amperage can you safely draw off the HD charging system at one time? I'm guessing two sets of gear could draw upward of 25-30 amps and that's going to be too much. Anyone have some real world experience with pushing the limits of the stock touring bike charging system? How many amps is it rated for?

I just got two new Gerbing liners and it says they draw 7 amps each.
Of course, gloves, pants,etc. adds up.
Mark

Old 10-06-2010, 11:27 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Changing the subject slightly but still for Gerbing users; anyone use the glove liners rather than the gloves? Pros and cons to the liners? Thanks.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:30 AM
2002flstc
Road Warrior
Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I mounted my dual controller on my street glide with double stick tape under the seat on the frame. Just reach down with my left hand and crank up the heat.... make sure you zip tie the wire so it can not get close to the exhaust.

On my softail I double stick tape it to the top of my coil cover...

Old 10-14-2010, 09:15 PM
lizdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by txfxstrider
Changing the subject slightly but still for Gerbing users; anyone use the glove liners rather than the gloves? Pros and cons to the liners? Thanks.
Yes love them since I can wear my normal gloves over them

Old 10-14-2010, 10:34 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

For those contemplating this item, be advised that HD's dual-controller can be purchased from Chicago HD for $80, $19 cheaper than the lowest price I've seen on the Gerbings-badged item. It is the same product except for the logos and the HD comes standard with the pouch/clip, which is $11 more with the Gerbings controller.

Quick Reply: Gerbings dual control