Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Under armour cold gear

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 06:47 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

http://www.gator-skins.com/

Anybody have any experience in the Gator-Skins??

Old 10-04-2010, 07:04 AM
wannabe
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

under armour was designed to keep you warm if you are active, I work out doors year round- it really works well when I'm doing something physical, But I can't tell a difference between U/A and walmart long johns on my bike when its cold.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:16 AM
Thor
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hullhorr
I use the cold gear for hunting and it works great, but never tried it for riding. The key for me in cold weather is "wind resistance" and I don't think the UA cold gear fits that bill alone. If you use it as an insulating layer and have something with wind resistance over top it might work out though if just your normal clothing under wind resistance items isn't enough.
+1. Stuff is great for hunting, never thought to wear when ridingg though (I will now tho). I usually wear light thermal shirt, heavy jeans (my one hd splurge...they are really thick) and from 40 to 30 degrees I'll throw on my rain pants, beleive it or not....under 30 I wear chaps. the rain pants block all wind, and actually keeps me pretty warm.

Top end, thermal, l/s shirt, hoodie, & leathers.

I ride a 'Glide though, and it blocks alot of wind...my buddy, on his Street Bob, gets full force and dresses like Ralphies lil brother in "Christmas Story"

Old 10-04-2010, 07:17 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by hullhorr
I use the cold gear for hunting and it works great, but never tried it for riding. The key for me in cold weather is "wind resistance" and I don't think the UA cold gear fits that bill alone. If you use it as an insulating layer and have something with wind resistance over top it might work out though if just your normal clothing under wind resistance items isn't enough.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:22 AM
FXSTS-88
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Cold Weather 'Undies'

I don't know how cold you plan to ride in, so....
To me, U/A is too spendy for the performance it gives. I like a 100% poly-pro LS shirt & long drawers (about $10 ea) as a base layer (good for 30's-40's). If much colder, add a light weight polar fleece vest & drawers. Those two layers under a pr. of wool pants & wool shirt, leather jacket & chaps is good enough for 20's-30's. A pr. of 400 gm. thinsulate leather boots will keep the toes toasty. Add a wool scarf & Gore-tex/thinsulate gloves; that's enough for me. If it gets colder than that (probably shouldn't be out anyway!), I always have my Gore-tex rain suit to add.
I've been looking at a pr. of leather bibs, but can't justify the cost for one or two rides a year.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:41 AM
DocDyna
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Gear 3

My two cents.... I use the top and botoms of the CG3 from UA. My problem with all the thermal gear is that I get hot and or sweat a little the I get cold. With the UA it will wick the moisture away from skin. So then I don't get chilled. For 30ish riding, the bottom layer UA CG3; followed next by my Gerbing Heated ( sole liners,pants, jacket, gloves) Then just jeans and mid-wt jacket. If a long ride 6-8 hrs then I throw my chaps over jeans. No more sweating and getting chilled due to dampness. So fo me the UA does exactly what it is supposed to do, wick moisture away. It doesn't seem to warm me up but it's not cold either. When I warm up to much I sweat.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:45 AM
Ultra Street Jewell
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wear it all the time during fall, winter and early spring riding. Bit expensive, but well worth the money if ride in cold weather.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:10 AM
SharkBite
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It's already pretty much been said, it's good if you're active and helps for riding but it wont keep you toasty warm in cold temps.

I used to wear it under my uniform when I was a motorcycle cop and I still use it now. Working 8 hours in 20 degree weather is pretty brutal on a bike. There are certainly warmer options that are a lot less expensive but the trade-off is they're often bulkier.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:16 AM
FXSTS-88
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SharkBite
It's already pretty much been said, it's good if you're active and helps for riding but it wont keep you toasty warm in cold temps.

I used to wear it under my uniform when I was a motorcycle cop and I still use it now. Working 8 hours in 20 degree weather is pretty brutal on a bike. There are certainly warmer options that are a lot less expensive but the trade-off is they're often bulkier.
How often does the temp stay at/below 20 deg for 8 hrs. in Atlanta?
Just askin'.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:48 AM
shagnasty
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks for all the responses. I think I'm gonna give it a try. I'm leaving saturday for a ride in eastern Kentucky,Virginia, and W. Virginia. According to the weather folks it won't be too cold. I think it will work for this trip. If nothing else I can at least give a good report once I return. I can get a 40% discount through my employer at a certain supplier so it will be cost effective. Thanks again for your comments.

Quick Reply: Under armour cold gear