Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adjusting the clutch lever throw....

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 02:22 PM
pk
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjusting the clutch lever throw....

Hi all!

I have a 06 RKC and the clutch starts to engage about 3/4 of the way out. I would like it to be about halfway. How do I adjust that...is it the boot covered part of the cable itself? Thanks in advance!

Paul

Old 09-14-2006, 02:37 PM
daboys53119
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Adjusting the clutch lever throw....

There is a very good post in the DIY section. I just adjusted my Ultra clutch a few weeks ago following the posts directions, piece of cake!

Old 09-14-2006, 02:43 PM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you do that, your lever play will be sloppier. Why would you not want the clutch to engage ASAP? I prefer the quickest action possible (least amount of play) on the entire operation....clutch & shift linkage. Also have my shift arms set as low as possible.

Old 09-14-2006, 03:03 PM
MiniMe
Road Master

To adjust the clutch you need to make the adjustment by removing the clutch inspection cover. This cover has a solid gasket behind it.

First loosen the clutch cable tension be pulling done the rubber boot and loosening the cable all the way till there is complete slack in the cable.

The next adjustment is done at the clutch. You should really read the service manual to get more complete instructions. But you loosen the lock nut. Then using an allen wrench you turn the adjusting screw clockwise until it stops. Then turn the adjuster counter clockwise 1 to 1/2 turn. An HD wrench told me he will turn the adjuster back about 3/4 turn. This adjustment has to be done when the bike is at room temp. The tolorences are very close and can change temp. After the adjustment is done tighten the lock nut back and adjust the cable.

Once again these are general instructions and the service manual should be consulted before you perform this adjustment.

Old 09-14-2006, 03:12 PM
Sreynold1
Tourer

I agree with Bounty...engages after letting out clutch very little, shifters in lowest position possible.

Old 09-14-2006, 03:21 PM
bay13
Outstanding HDF Member

I have a 06 RKC and the clutch starts to engage about 3/4 of the way out. I would like it to be about halfway. How do I adjust that...is it the boot covered part of the cable itself? Thanks in advance!
I know exactly what you mean. 1st you don't adjust where the clutch grabs with the cover thats over the clutch cable, that just takes the slack out of the cable after you adjust it. You need to look in the DIY section or I'd advise getting a service manual for your bike. You are going to have to take the cover off the clutch inspection part to do the adjustment. If I remember some where in the adjustment procedures it will say turn the adjuster out 1/2 to one turn. If you want it to grab sooner then do the full one turn out.

Old 09-14-2006, 08:22 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

do this....take the derby cover & gasket off...oil aint gonna skeet out so dont worry...in the middle of the clutch there's a 11/16th jam nut on a 1/2" bolt....oh, dont fool with the cable adjuster yet...get a wrench on the jam nut while holding the adjuster rod with an allen...break the jam nut loose...dont let the adjuster move tho...now, turn the adjuster nut counterclockwise 1/8th turn and run the jam nut up til jammed...replace everything...you have just moved where the clutch engages at on your lever closer to the bar...clockwise is away from the bar...its easy stuff

Old 09-15-2006, 10:30 AM
pk
Tourer

Thank you all for your help and replies...this forum is the best!!

Paul

Old 09-15-2006, 10:47 AM
glide
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: pk

Hi all!

Paul

Adjusting the clutch lever so the clutch action is farther from the bar will give you better plate seperation, better shifting and overall easier and somewhat quieter shifting. Your choice where you want it to grab.

Old 09-15-2006, 11:04 AM
rollover
Road Captain

https://www.hdforums.com/m_70839/tm.htm

I used this method as it took all the guess work out of the adjustment. I tried the books way first and couldn't get it quite right where as this way, I was able to get it right where it was supposed to be the first time. No more clunk when shifting. Bike now clicks into gear as I'm sure the switch to synthetic also helped with this. This way just seems to take all the guess work out of the adjustment.

Quick Reply: Adjusting the clutch lever throw....