Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with failure codes

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 04:42 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Need help with failure codes

This is one of those situation that when I take the Ultra Classic to the dealer, they can't find anything wrong with it after the P118 code.

A couple of weeks ago I had planned to go for a ride and my '09 Ultra Classic wouldn't start. It acted like it was trying to backfire. When I let go of the starter button, fuel vapors came out of the intake. I got a P118 code which is "Engine Temperature Sensor Voltage Open/High EFI." After clearing the code, the engine started and ran fine. The second time it did exactly the same thing, I took it to the dealer and they couldn't find anything wrong with the engine temperature sensor voltage. Needless to say, they sent me on my way and that failure code hasn't happen since.

Yesterday I rode approximately 175 miles and stopped for gas. When I turned the ignition and kill switch on, there was no check engine light and the engine wouldn't turn over at all. I turned everything off and waited for about a minute before attempting to start again and it fired up like nothing had happened. It did exactly the same thing one more time while on that ride. After getting home, I checked for a code and got P1353 which is Front Cylinder No Combustion.

This morning it seems to be running fine. I plan on calling the dealer tomorrow for another appointment and hope they find something wrong with it this time. It sound strange, hoping they will find something wrong.

Anyone have any idea what may be going on here?

Old 10-03-2010, 06:01 PM
saw*me
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the plugs and wires. A fouled plug will throw the "No Combustion " code. One miss fire on a hard start can ruin a plug. I would stick a new plug in the front jug and give it a try.

Tom

Old 10-03-2010, 06:13 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by saw*me
Check the plugs and wires. A fouled plug will throw the "No Combustion " code. One miss fire on a hard start can ruin a plug. I would stick a new plug in the front jug and give it a try.

Tom
I had considered that but why is it running fine now without changing the plug?

Old 10-03-2010, 07:55 PM
saw*me
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you clear the code and it comes back I would try the plug. If it is an electric issue like the ECM or wiring harness definitly take it back to the dealer. If warranty will fix it that would be good. I've long since waved bye to the dealers and got to know my ride. These little gremlins pop up from time to time and they'll drive you nuts if you let em. Good luck and it's going to run right again. It's too nice a scoot not to.

Tom

Old 10-04-2010, 09:57 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member

I made an appointment at the dealer for a week from today. They must have lots of problems to take a week to get the bike in.