Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mounting the wheel chock in the trailer

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 02:49 PM
bambamblazer
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mounting the wheel chock in the trailer

First off, iknow i should ride it not trailer it, but we always take a trip to Florida in mid dec . and riding out of Indiana at that time of year would suck!!!

So that beaing said, I just bought an enclosed trailer to haul bikes in. i have a couple of the HF chocks already and cant see spending more money to buy removable chock. Thats where the problem is, i want to make these chocks removable. My thought is that the chocks have a small amount of preasure against them, just mainly downward and a little forward??? I think that a threaded insert in the wood floor at all 4 mounting holes would be pleanty to hold the chocks in place, then attach the chock with a thumb screw for easy removal.
Soooo, what are your thought and concerns on this idea???

Here is a link to inserts on ebay so you get an idea what im talking about.

http://cgi.ebay.com/50-3-8-16-Flange...item5633b653d3

Old 10-03-2010, 04:23 PM
HOGNOT
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bambamblazer
First off, iknow i should ride it not trailer it, but we always take a trip to Florida in mid dec . and riding out of Indiana at that time of year would suck!!!

So that beaing said, I just bought an enclosed trailer to haul bikes in. i have a couple of the HF chocks already and cant see spending more money to buy removable chock. Thats where the problem is, i want to make these chocks removable. My thought is that the chocks have a small amount of preasure against them, just mainly downward and a little forward??? I think that a threaded insert in the wood floor at all 4 mounting holes would be pleanty to hold the chocks in place, then attach the chock with a thumb screw for easy removal.

I'd be a bit concerned about that insert/anchor pulling out of the wood floor. With an enclosed trailer you don't have to worry about wind pressure like I do with my open trailer but after bouncing over enough potholes those anchors might pull out of the wood. I'd try to find a way to be sure they don't pull out....maybe use construction adhesive or something similar to glue them to the wood....better yet would be to find an anchor or long bolt that went all the way through the floor and have a cotter pin through a hole in the end of the bolt or anchor......I know, not easy to do. It might be easier and more trouble-free in the long run to just be prepared to crawl under the trailer to remove the hardware holding down the chocks when you want to remove them.

VR

Old 10-03-2010, 04:33 PM
HDJIM1158
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I am using a CONDOR wheel dock. Works very well and comes out leaving only two straps. Check it out, I am sure you will like it.

Be Safe JIM

Old 10-03-2010, 04:45 PM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Why not run some larger angle iron across to use as a stop for the front of the chock, and then use it unsecured, or maybe your wingnut idea? Just be sure to have straps on all 4 corners of the bike. If you have the HF chock I'm thinking of, I've put it in the bed of my truck on multiple occasions without bolting it to anything and it's been fine.

In my experience the bike won't be really secure unless you have some preload on the front forks, and to do that you will be applying forward pressure to the chock, you've gotta secure it in the forward direction somehow.

Old 10-03-2010, 05:05 PM
wtb3886
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Greetings from South Carolina bambamblazer

I would not trust putting inserts into the wood for securing my bike, this will weaken your ability in your floor for securing your wheel chock.

I would have a metal brace mounted under the trailer and use all thread rods with avaitation nuts to secure your mount.

I have just had this done to my trailer and as soon as I can I will post pictures but I do not wish to have my wheel chock removable but it could be.

Tom

Old 10-03-2010, 05:09 PM
firefighter156
Road Master
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by bambamblazer

You don't owe anyone an apology for trailering your bike. It's really quite okay. Do as you wish, but if you plan on keeping the trailer for a long time IMHO I would spend the extra money and buy some Condor chocks with the adapter to make them removable. The SC2000 chock is made for trailer mounts. If you go the E-Track route you really open your options.

Old 10-03-2010, 05:11 PM
hullhorr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 182 Posts

I wouldn't trust it. Assuming you only trailer your bike once in a while I would thru bolt the chock down with bolts & fender washers. It's not that difficult to remove them when you get home.

Old 10-03-2010, 05:12 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Thumb screws should work fine. I wouldn't trust inserts in wood. What about putting a steel backer plate with nuts welded to it, under the floor.

Old 10-03-2010, 05:16 PM
nickeenoo
Advanced

I'm a cabinet maker/contractor, so I have a fair bit of experience with wood. I also ride dirt bikes which means I have to trailer a bike on a regular basis (at least twice a month). Granted, dirt bikes are not as heavy as a road bike but the concept is the same.

The inserts you are looking at will work for the first handful of uses but after that they will start to come loose. Really though, you don't need much to hold a chock in place, it mostly downward and a little forward force. If you want a quick fix and you really only trailer the bike once a year or less, the inserts you are looking at would probably work provided you check them thoroughly each time you use them. If not, I would probably google "removable wheel chock" as there are some better options out there. And as far as the integrity of the wood, those insert won't effect it one bit. I'll bet if you look there are knots in the wood bigger than the insert you are going to use.

Nate

Old 10-03-2010, 05:26 PM
Slayer dude
Road Captain

DO NOT DO THAT. I just trailered my bike to North Carolina in June. You would not believe the force that is put on those straps. Imagine someone in your trailer rocking your bike back and forth for hours and hours. We stopped for gas and checked the bikes and mine was on its side. Small damage (landed on suitcase) just pissed me off. I think what happened is I ratcheted the straps and not enough strap went around the shaft before it was tight to the block of wood under the frame. So thats all I can assume is that it just unwound from the spool(shaft) and bam , shes on the trailer.
That was a weak point and an anchor will be too. Carriage bolt through the chock and trailer and use nylon nuts. ITS YOUR BIKE.

Quick Reply: Mounting the wheel chock in the trailer