Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HQ 107 motor refresh

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 07:30 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts
Default HQ 107 motor refresh

I have about 30k on my HQ 107 motor right now 40+ k on bike, I am planning another Hoka Hey run next Aug. I had pinging problems in the high heat ever since I installed the motor, has 10 5 1 compression. I am considering lowering the compression to 10 2 1 to alleviate the pinging issue. Here is what I am considering let me know if I am on the wrong track. Hoping HQ can do this work if possible.

Head Gasket, thicker to lower compression
Rebore the cylinders a couple thou
New pistons to fit the cyls
Re Ring
Rebuild heads, valves, valve guides, seals

I have man comp releases, wondering if I can go to ACR's on same heads now?

I had a retune done by Ed a Dynofifference in Dallas, got rid of most of the pinging and motor definately runs stronger now. I just want to get rid of tha last slight pinging when the temp gets over 100F which is often here in Fla. Also want to make sure all is good in the top end before I take on a 12k mile run through some remote areas of the US, Mexico, and Canada. Appreciate all feedback.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:43 AM
sporacer
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by masterblaster
I have about 30k on my HQ 107 motor right now 40+ k on bike, I am planning another Hoka Hey run next Aug. I had pinging problems in the high heat ever since I installed the motor, has 10 5 1 compression. I am considering lowering the compression to 10 2 1 to alleviate the pinging issue. Here is what I am considering let me know if I am on the wrong track. Hoping HQ can do this work if possible.

Head Gasket, thicker to lower compression
Rebore the cylinders a couple thou
New pistons to fit the cyls
Re Ring
Rebuild heads, valves, valve guides, seals

I have man comp releases, wondering if I can go to ACR's on same heads now?

I had a retune done by Ed a Dynofifference in Dallas, got rid of most of the pinging and motor definately runs stronger now. I just want to get rid of tha last slight pinging when the temp gets over 100F which is often here in Fla. Also want to make sure all is good in the top end before I take on a 12k mile run through some remote areas of the US, Mexico, and Canada. Appreciate all feedback.
There is really no reason to freshin up your engine at that mileage unless your having a problem. I dont think your 10.5 compression is the problem with the pinging. I would look at the hq cams as being the issue. The hq cams from what I have heard build alot of cylinder pressure.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:58 AM
CDN. RG
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 113 hq ,mine has the hq 575 cams in it(220CCP front and 215CCP rear when warmed up) ,I have had a ping problem with mine as well ,it has about 45000 kms still runs strong and pulls "hard" as long as I can get 94 octane and the weather is cool which is more times than not not the case in the real world ,so I have been considering getting rid of some CCP as well,I have read a few threads were old hq advocates have used the t-man 590 cams with good success so I may eventually give this a try and see if these cams will bleed off enough CCP to alleviate the problem ,but right now I have a tranny problem that I have to deal with first. good luck and let us know how you make out as this is of interest to me .

Old 10-03-2010, 09:36 AM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sporacer
There is really no reason to freshin up your engine at that mileage unless your having a problem. I dont think your 10.5 compression is the problem with the pinging. I would look at the hq cams as being the issue. The hq cams from what I have heard build alot of cylinder pressure.
That's kind of what I was thinking too. Maybe a cam swap to bleed off some of that cylinder pressure. Of course that may require a little dyno time to dial it in exactly, but that should help a lot of the ping especially in the heat.

Or you could just pull a little timing in the TP/RPM combination you are having an issue in. Sometimes a degree or two will solve your problems.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:03 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

This tune is as good as it gets. The timing is dead on the power is perfect. It was suggested I get a couple cans of seafoam, spray 12 ounces directly into intake at idle without killing bike (will smoke pretty good). then dump 6 oz into teh tank. This should get rid of any carbon build up, and clean injectors. I have used seafoam in teh past but never like this so lets see what happens. Still thinking that I will try the refresh unless anyone sees any show stoppers.

Originally Posted by 07RoadHawg
That's kind of what I was thinking too. Maybe a cam swap to bleed off some of that cylinder pressure. Of course that may require a little dyno time to dial it in exactly, but that should help a lot of the ping especially in the heat.

Or you could just pull a little timing in the TP/RPM combination you are having an issue in. Sometimes a degree or two will solve your problems.

Old 10-03-2010, 02:39 PM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 373 Likes on 236 Posts

Also depends on your tuning device. With the TTS timing can be removed with the spark temperature correction table. Any other device and the timing will have to be removed from the timing tables.

Old 10-03-2010, 06:02 PM
CDN. RG
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have tried the seafoam thing several times,even had my heads off and decarboned them didn't seem to help my ping,when the weather gets hot this thing pings when the weather is cool it pulls like an animal and is a blast to ride.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:39 PM
jtomhd
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I am contemplating a 107" build...

...and greatest concern is pinging. I know Jaime's Fuelmoto build has a CCP of 190 and still pulls 115TQ/105HP using Woods 555 cam. I think it's all about cams at this point, my friend.

Old 10-04-2010, 02:15 AM
jurob
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by masterblaster
This tune is as good as it gets. The timing is dead on the power is perfect. It was suggested I get a couple cans of seafoam, spray 12 ounces directly into intake at idle without killing bike (will smoke pretty good). then dump 6 oz into teh tank. This should get rid of any carbon build up, and clean injectors. I have used seafoam in teh past but never like this so lets see what happens. Still thinking that I will try the refresh unless anyone sees any show stoppers.
Sorry to tell you this, but your tune is not dead on if you having ping issues in the heat, unless you have a mechanically issue such as leaking valve seals or? I doubt younhave mechanical issues since your bike is apparently perfect under 100 degrees.

Tune is probably perfect for wot performance as ive yet to see anyone get a copy of anything other then a wot dyno print out.

I don't know if Harley's have an air charge temp sensor, but if they do your bike needs some timing Pulled out as the temps increase.

I would talk to your tuner or get a tuner that can fix your problem.

Good luck

I woul

Old 10-04-2010, 05:37 AM
timvan
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Umm can I throw a "I told you so" in here?

Quick Reply: HQ 107 motor refresh