Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do You Remove PCV Before Taking Bike To Dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 07:52 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Having just bought a new RKC I asked my service mgr about me installing new head pipe w/ mufflers, PC-V and high flow filter. He said, "sure if you don't want your warranty anymore". If they put it on and do the tune they will honor the warranty but not the aftermarket parts they put on. So in order not to be flagged in the HD computer I will have them do the install. Once you get flagged voiding your warranty, no HD dealer will do any warranty work. I guess I can't blame them, there are some really bad home mechanics and why should they have to pay for someone else's incompetence.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:22 AM
sonicHeart
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smokindave
Having just bought a new RKC I asked my service mgr about me installing new head pipe w/ mufflers, PC-V and high flow filter. He said, "sure if you don't want your warranty anymore". If they put it on and do the tune they will honor the warranty but not the aftermarket parts they put on. So in order not to be flagged in the HD computer I will have them do the install. Once you get flagged voiding your warranty, no HD dealer will do any warranty work. I guess I can't blame them, there are some really bad home mechanics and why should they have to pay for someone else's incompetence.
Same just happened to me-- I already purchased a PCV (haven't installed or done anything with it yet) and talked to HD about my install. They said if I install the PCV it will void my warranty. wtf?

Old 10-03-2010, 08:58 AM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Warrenty

It's a lot of trouble to be removing and reinstalling a stage 1 kit. I always was prepared to do it, but I went in and talked to the service manager. He wasn't concerned with the PC V, so when I had warrenty work, I din't bother removing the stage 1.

I suggest you talk to your service manager.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:05 AM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

nah.. no need.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:32 AM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Used to do a lot of work for some Attorneys.

When I go to a dealer and they try to scare me with You gonna Void yer warranty if you do that..
I hand them his card and ask if they would like to contact my attorney and explain it to him
so he can advise me of my rights.

They usually shut up right then and there.

If what you did didn't directly cause the problem. How is it gonna void yer warranty.

If everything you do to yer bike has to be Harley only Harley has to supply it for free.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:54 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by sonicHeart
Same just happened to me-- I already purchased a PCV (haven't installed or done anything with it yet) and talked to HD about my install. They said if I install the PCV it will void my warranty. wtf?
Don't fall for this BS. Screamin' Eagle products also have a mention on the box saying that they're not for street use and will void the warranty.
Worst case scenario if your dealer is such as @sshole, unplug your PCV when you take your bike there, nobody can detect you use one since it leaves the ECM completely vanilla .............or ask them to call your lawyer to explain their position.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:04 AM
Damascus
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought about removing it, but decided against it. Beyond the hassle of doing so, it seems like some dealers are going out of their way to avoid warranty work anyway. Even with a couple of recall/service bulletins, I had to remind/push the dealer a little more than should have been necessary.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:08 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,100 Likes on 3,649 Posts

No problem here

Old 10-03-2010, 11:34 AM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Damascus
I thought about removing it, but decided against it. Beyond the hassle of doing so, it seems like some dealers are going out of their way to avoid warranty work anyway. Even with a couple of recall/service bulletins, I had to remind/push the dealer a little more than should have been necessary.
You need to call the 1800 number for Harley and complain about the dealership refusing to do warranty work.

Each dealer gits so much comp money each year for doing warranty work on HD's

When I hear a dealership stating that if something I do will Void my warranty.
I also ask, would you like for me to let everybody I know how you stand on your Warranty.
I'm sure I can make a lot of your customers know that you do not care to work on their bike unless you get to do all the work on it. Do you want BAD Publicity.
Some dealers does not need to be in business.

Scare tactics Does NOT SCARE me, but it will make me to go another dealership to buy parts and motorcycles.

Old 10-03-2010, 02:37 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 669 Likes on 533 Posts

if they avoid warrenty work ,its because they have bad techs u dont want them doing any work.

Quick Reply: Do You Remove PCV Before Taking Bike To Dealer?