Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 08:19 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

I guess it depends on how you look at it, and I'm certainly not the first cruiser to run one. The whole bike only weighs about 750, and there is a big safety factor to the load recommendations, so there is some room for play.
Here's a quote from BikeBandit.com on this tire:
"Bridgestone's Spitfire S11 is for touring-oriented riders who also enjoy a sporty ride. The 4-ply casing, incorporating insert plies, and a refined belt technology helps keep the tire round and cool even at top speeds. This bias-ply, general purpose replacement tire for large late model cruisers as well as bikes from the 1970's and 1980's."
I noticed none of the sales sites put the load numbers in the details; only the speed rating. I'd think they would if it were important. I laser-checked the temperatures on this trip with the bike fully loaded down and got a 102 in front and a 97 on the Darksider. We had been running about 70-75.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:47 PM
Two B
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadancer
I guess it depends on how you look at it, and I'm certainly not the first cruiser to run one. The whole bike only weighs about 750, and there is a big safety factor to the load recommendations, so there is some room for play.
Here's a quote from BikeBandit.com on this tire:
"Bridgestone's Spitfire S11 is for touring-oriented riders who also enjoy a sporty ride. The 4-ply casing, incorporating insert plies, and a refined belt technology helps keep the tire round and cool even at top speeds. This bias-ply, general purpose replacement tire for large late model cruisers as well as bikes from the 1970's and 1980's."
I noticed none of the sales sites put the load numbers in the details; only the speed rating. I'd think they would if it were important. I laser-checked the temperatures on this trip with the bike fully loaded down and got a 102 in front and a 97 on the Darksider. We had been running about 70-75.
Check this a member posted this the other day.

http://unsafemotorcycles.com/index.html

It will give you some idea of what you are close to.

Old 10-05-2010, 12:03 AM
twistedcherokee
Road Warrior
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
Only problen i had with Kenda was weight capacity....i looked at the Kenda Kruz..
BTW 08 is the same size as all the way back to 2001 i thionk..MU90B16 or MU85B16
I notice on some sites it says not for high load motorcycles. Will look on the tire & see if they give a weight @ 40 lbs max. They are 6 ply tires & so far I have had no bad quirks. Diffenitly better than what was on there.

Toby

Old 10-05-2010, 03:02 PM
stuntdad
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just finished putting on my new rear 880,my local guy bought a spin ballancer and up'd his tire change prices to 25 bucks but that now includes spin ballance.....

Old 10-05-2010, 06:55 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Two Brothers
Check this a member posted this the other day.

http://unsafemotorcycles.com/index.html

It will give you some idea of what you are close to.
I agree I'm close to the stock limits and a bit over when camping. But I have most all the load added in the rear when I do and the Vredestein has an 1850 lb. load rating. I doubt the axles or frame are gonna break and I keep the spokes tight. Appreciate your concern though. Consider also that the bike would be overloaded with most of you riders and your wives, according to that calculator. And that's without gear.
I've seen 500 pounds of flesh on some of these Hawgs.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:38 PM
TooEasy
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine runs better, more stable two-up or overloaded, lol. I have no idea why. At 32 PSI cruising two-up is like sitting in a lawn chair. I chalk it up to another characteristic of the car tire, it runs sweeeeet. At 5,000 miles there is no wear either. I am absolutely ecstatic with my tire.

Regards,

Old 10-05-2010, 08:42 PM
RThomas4223
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put Michelin Commanders on my EGC & could not be happier. Long life, good traction, quiet, and no cupping.
When I had Dunlops on my scoot, I had the dreaded Bagger Boogie. No more. I'm not even considering a stabilizer now.
My $.02.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:54 PM
Slash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 50 Posts

Stock Dunlops - I always get at least 15,000 out of the rear tire with more left to burn.Seem to grip just fine when pushing 'em hard in turns,never squirrelly on wet pavement...Unless I somehow get convinced I can improve on that,I'm sticking with what's working.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:25 PM
TheShrink
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Michelin Commanders are great and they are still available.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:33 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member

Those were my favored choice to get until I went Darkside - 4k and this thing looks like the day I put it on. TooEasy is right, only my Comtrac is run at 36 lbs. Loves passengers - my lady likes to watch the sparks.

Quick Reply: New Tires