Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

At 5400 miles, is my bike really worn out?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 06:20 PM
harris48cars
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default At 5400 miles, is my bike really worn out?

Well at 5400 miles I'm informed my FB is worn out. I didn't even know. Good thing I was told about it this morning cause I was actually going to ride it today and had planned an overnight trip on it for next weekend. Man, that was close. Guess I'll call a salvage company Monday morning to get it out of here.

What has prompted this thread is a guy who had some very, very mild interest in buying m 09 SE FB emailed me saying because the bike is out of warranty and the mileage, it killed the deal for him. Warranties are nice and I can see how that could matter. No problem with that. But saying the mileage was an issue? 5400 miles is too many? Neither of my bikes are garage queens. My wife and I ride. Just got back from California where I we did 3500 miles on my 08 SG which already had 29,000 mies on it. How stupid was that. I think there are people who own motorcycles and then there are MOTOCYCLIST'S. We are the latter. The Motorcyclist, I think understands the modern motorcycle is a reliable, let me repeat that, RELIABLE, well engineered and comfortable piece of wonderfull machinery. I never leave my house with my fingers crossed, hoping I'll make it home. And let me be clear, there is nothing at all wrong with using your bike for occasional weekend rides. I understand fully you don't have to cross the country on a motorcycle to enjoy one. However, to get a full understanding of the capabilities and reliability of modern bikes it would help if you actually rode them a little bit more than occsionally................Sorry, my wife just walked in and reminded me that we took our 38,000 RKC and our 04 VTX with 17,000 to Nova Scotia...........I guess however there was a time in my younger days (I'm almost 62 now) when I to thought a motorcycle should be trashed at 2,000 miles or so. I could go on but let me leave this piece of info for those that own a motorcycle and and are not yet a MOTORCYCLISTS, don't worry about mileage. QUIT WORRYING and start riding. You will enjoy your bike a lot more. You take care of it and it will take care of you. BTW, my wife and I have seen so much of this country on our bikes. If I was worried about mileage on our bikes, I would still be looking at pictures in books. If your bike isn't under warranty or you have more than a few thousand miles on it you better hang around the house. If you don't give a damn about warranties and milage then I say to you, Nova Scotia late July 2011. Anybody's welcome.
Gary
P.S. I will concede that last year in the Arizona desert for three hot as heck, desolate days and with a toothache I did hope It didn't break.

Old 10-02-2010, 06:29 PM
harris48cars
Road Master

oops, In this case FB stands for Fat Bob, not Fat Boy.
Gary

Old 10-02-2010, 06:30 PM
07FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

PM me for the phone number for a good salvage company. Their in CA so it may take awhile to get there & they may need to charge you a bit for travel time but they'll haul it out of there for free I think!
LOL!!

Old 10-02-2010, 06:32 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,223 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Let's see......the 11's are out so your 09 is technically 2 years old. 5400 miles in 2 years means you are averaging about 2700 miles a year. Not worn out by any means.....not broken in yet.

Old 10-02-2010, 06:34 PM
nemick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Usually, the people who are simply tire kickers come up with better excuses for not buying a bike. Yours isn't even broken in yet.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:19 PM
JollyRogers
Road Master

Someone just wanted to back out of the deal and used that as an excuse or was looking for a SE that is a garage queen. Prob just someone tire kicking and blowing hot air. There are many of those around. That mileage is just keeping everything lubed and working. My son's SB is pushing 8K and I have been riding it for him to keep it in working order. It's an 06 and I started hearing serious whining in the front part of the primary. I know what that usually means on that year Dyna... and it aint good. Now I will most likely end up having to fix it for him.

So OK. You are in Front Royal, VA (road by yall today BTW). I am south of Fredericksburg. Nova Scotia huh? in July of 11? I have a passport. I guess my wife would need one? Would love to, probably cant take the time from work as we are talking about making a "Keys and Gulf run" for a spring trip or maybe a trip out to Yellowstone w/ Sturgis thrown in. If my son gets tranferred to Alaska, I know where I will be riding to!!!

Old 10-02-2010, 07:37 PM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

At 46,000 miles, I think my '08 Road Glide is finally getting broken in. Looking forward to many years of riding!

Old 10-02-2010, 08:38 PM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

He may have been buying it as a collector type item, in which case the lower milage the better. Still, I would never go far as to say 5400 is worn out. If anything I'd be making fun of you for not riding it enough.

Old 10-02-2010, 08:48 PM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blusmbl
He may have been buying it as a collector type item, in which case the lower milage the better. Still, I would never go far as to say 5400 is worn out. If anything I'd be making fun of you for not riding it enough.
I would laughingly agree if your 08 SG did not have 29K on it.

Old 10-02-2010, 09:53 PM
kdfcogwheel
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess I need to seek salvage also. My 2010 FLHTK is only 2 months old with over 7K.

Quick Reply: At 5400 miles, is my bike really worn out?