Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas mileage in Florida

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 05:19 PM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Gas mileage in Florida

Before I even start DO NOT take this as a bash against Florida in any way, shape or form. Having brought my bike back down to Florida a couple weeks ago, before I left home I picked up a package of Lucas Octane boost because of the very noticeable decrease in gas mileage while using Florida gas. Of course I only use 93 octane, usually Shell or BP. I have been keeping the tank as close to full as possible, topping off with as little as a gallon and a half. Today was the first opportunity I had to actually take a decent reading due to riding 120 miles today and I was amazed that my mileage went from an average of 34 to 35 MPG to over 40 MPG using the octane boost. About half of those miles were city driving and the rest a very pleasant country cruise. Tomorrow I am planning a trip tp panama City beach as I understand there is a bike festival there this weekend so joping for even better mileage as most of the trip I will be cruising. BTW, the Lucas package I bought was a quart along with a small bottle to give you about the right amount for a tank full and I think I paid about $10.00 for it.

Old 10-02-2010, 05:35 PM
Kumite
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Octane boost will do nothing for milage.

Are you going from non ethanol gas to ethanol? that alone is around 8% reduction

Old 10-02-2010, 05:40 PM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Do you normally ride in much colder and/or drier climates? I think the very warm, thick, humid air may cause an engine to run richer. At least I believe that cold air tends to make a bike run leaner. Please forgive me if this is inaccurate. It is more than conjecture, though, a I am certain that I've heard this before. In any event, high temperatures cause an engine to labor. Just the cooler temperatures in the last week are causing my bike to smile!

Old 10-02-2010, 05:42 PM
strtarrow
Banned

Originally Posted by Kumite
Octane boost will do nothing for milage.

Are you going from non ethanol gas to ethanol? that alone is around 8% reduction
That is exactly it. In NC we do not to the best of my knowledge have ethanol. When I take the trip back and forth I get the best mileage (and cheapest prices) with Georgia gas. The place I bought the octane boost is called Grandeur cycles specializing in high end custom choppers. I explained my situation here and he suggested the Lucas as well as keeping the tank full to prevent condensation from building up in my tank.

Old 10-02-2010, 05:48 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

I think you should stay in NC.

Old 10-02-2010, 05:58 PM
strtarrow
Banned

Originally Posted by masterblaster
I think you should stay in NC.

I will take that crass comment with a grain of salt...

Old 10-02-2010, 06:09 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member

Crass, I have never been called that befoe hehehe, just yankin your chain Strtarrow, glad you bought your bike back down, best riding weather is almost here. Its the ethanol and sea level riding that drops your MPG nothing to worry about. Lookin forward to seein ya jump in on a ride with teh crew some day, I think you will like it.

BTW if you think you need more octane go to Home depot and get a gallon of tolulene, this is the active ingredient in most octane boosters, I don tink you need it as ethanol has higher octane than regular gas/benzine/MTBE

Originally Posted by strtarrow
I will take that crass comment with a grain of salt...

Last edited by masterblaster; 10-02-2010 at 06:12 PM.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:24 PM
strtarrow
Banned

Thanks MasterBlaster and sorry if I misinterpreted your post. Just wish there was an ethanol neutralizer. Met a guy at the Tallahassee HD shop today that suggested a really nice ride I took but my growling belly brought me back sooner than I wanted to.

Old 10-02-2010, 06:29 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member

Never thought about a neutralizer, let me talk to some of my chemists at work and see what they have to say. They are talking about going to 20% ethanol mix so it will only get worse.

BTW a bunch of teh cerw , some from your area headed to Sebring today for tha BBQ festival you should check in every now and then, a group of us heading to Biketoberfest , only 200 miles from you up there.

Old 10-02-2010, 06:39 PM
miami
Road Master
Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

You forgot to order your fuel in spanish...

Quick Reply: Gas mileage in Florida