Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to HD looking for recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 04:52 AM
smokehiker
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an '05 FLHRSI and have been looking at the Wild One 513's. I recently bought a Sundowner seat (from a forum member) and love it. BTW I'm 5'9".
As has been said, the seat/bar combination is the way to start. If you think you may change your seat, do it prior to getting new bars.

Old 11-06-2010, 05:31 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 498 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by ArizonaPhil
I just bought my first HD, a 2004 FLHRSI and I'm already looking to make a few changes.

1. I don't love the handle bars. Can you recommend some to try that are more "natural" or more "comfortable" to ride with?

2. Can you recommend fuel gauge tank caps?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Phil
I'd change the fluids, in all 3 holes, and the brake fluid while I was at it.....
Tires are a "no-brainer" for me.... dump those old tires...... the price of good rubber, is worth my skin.....
You didn't mention what experience you have.....if you have any... you likely know what seats you like, and which direction you'll head in... do the seat FIRST.... then worry about the bars
What works for ME..... is the lift the bike off the sidestand, and then close my eyes, I raise my hands into what I feel is a natural position, and then I can measure, the distance between my hands, and the bars.

Fuel guage? they are rarely accurate, so I use the trip odometer.... even thoght my bike has on on the inner fairing.

Old 11-06-2010, 06:27 AM
TxCowboy
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
An 04 with only 2808 miles? Must've been a garage ornament. I would change out all of your fluids for peace of mind not knowing what the previous owner did. Go to a dealer and check out the bars on a Heritage and see how that feels for you. Several folks change out to the Heritage bars. Once your mileage gets up to around 20k then check the cam tensioners.
And don't forget to flush your brake system as well. Folks tend to overlook that item.

In fact, it might be a good idea to have the dealer do the equivalent of the 10K service on the bike. That is a "tooth to tail" service that includes inspections, adjustments, and fluid changes.

Peace of mind on a new purchase, particularly for a bike that has been a garage queen for awhile, can be important.

Old 11-06-2010, 01:21 PM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Congrats on your purchase. I would keep an eye out for leaks springing up, seals that are sitting and not sealing will go bad, just my .02 . Stay safe and keep the shiney side up.