Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hydraulic clutch

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 01:35 AM
hythomasf
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Hydraulic clutch

My wife starts riding my motor cycle. She says the clutch is pretty heavy to pull. I got a used hydraulic clutch. Now I am looking for the installation instruction sheet. But I can't find it online. Who can help?

Old 10-02-2010, 01:49 AM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Didn't think it was quite that simple. Do a search. There was a thread a week ago talking about this. Seem to recall it wasn't straight forward. You could buy the reduced effort clutch kit. A 2002 doesn't have it stock if I recall correctly.

HD part no. 36808-05 (stock on 06 and later)

Last edited by davessworks; 10-02-2010 at 01:54 AM.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:06 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is more to changing a hydraulic clutch than what I thought. I wanted to get a Screamin' Eagle clutch setup installed on my '09 Ultra Classic. The HD tech told me it was a time consuming and several parts changing process.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:07 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a copy of the instructions for Hydraulic Clutch Kits 45383-03(Chrome) & 45033-03 (Black). Any kit you have will be pretty much the same, so these instructions should work. PM me with an email address & I'll scan 'em for you.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:21 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by bikes
There is more to changing a hydraulic clutch than what I thought. I wanted to get a Screamin' Eagle clutch setup installed on my '09 Ultra Classic. The HD tech told me it was a time consuming and several parts changing process.
Bikes, I can't explain why, but every wrench I ever talked to about changing to a hydraulic clutch was dead set against it. All kinds of stories from "they're HARDER to pull", to "to complicated/expensive to do", & "they'll cause more trouble". I sourced the parts myself & did the installation in an afternoon. The most effort went into gettin' the exhaust out of the way. The two best changes I've made to my RG are the stabilizer & the hydraulic clutch. Not a single issue in a year & a half. The pull *is* easier, & engagement is a lot smoother than cable actuated. Ignore the nay saying wrenches & go for the hydraulic. You won't be disappointed.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:27 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinks
Bikes, I can't explain why, but every wrench I ever talked to about changing to a hydraulic clutch was dead set against it. All kinds of stories from "they're HARDER to pull", to "to complicated/expensive to do", & "they'll cause more trouble". I sourced the parts myself & did the installation in an afternoon. The most effort went into gettin' the exhaust out of the way. The two best changes I've made to my RG are the stabilizer & the hydraulic clutch. Not a single issue in a year & a half. The pull *is* easier, & engagement is a lot smoother than cable actuated. Ignore the nay saying wrenches & go for the hydraulic. You won't be disappointed.
Thanks for the input. I had considered what you said about the difficulty level not being all that bad. I would very much like to have a hydraulic clutch but don't think I want to tackle it myself.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:37 AM
ColoSpgsMark
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Give the VPC clutch a look. 15 minute install and does just what you want:

http://www.aim-tamachi.com/home.php?cat=3

Mark

Old 10-02-2010, 12:07 PM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

I swear, the hyd clutch on my SE Ultra is harder than the cable one on my last 09 Ultra. Just sayin!

Old 10-02-2010, 02:23 PM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I can think of some (ahem) "exercises" she could do to build that left hand strength; take her for some long drives in the car, her in the passenger seat, .....

Old 10-02-2010, 02:43 PM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by cdestuck
I swear, the hyd clutch on my SE Ultra is harder than the cable one on my last 09 Ultra. Just sayin!
I've seen you mention that before Dan. Other than havin' a stronger clutch spring I can't think of any reason it should be. I'm runnin' a stock spring in a basically stock motor, & mine is somewhat easier to pull, & a lot smoother to engage. If you aren't runnin' a heavy spring you might want to change the fluid, bleed the system, & check the deflection.