Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind buffeting and radio sound quality

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 12:56 PM
flhrbill
Club Member
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Wind buffeting and radio sound quality

OK, I’ve read so many posts on what works and what doesn’t work to reduce the buffeting effort. So this weekend I’ll install the fork baffle (58520-79tc) and the chrome wind deflectors (58121-85B) on my 09 EGC.

Question for you guys that love your tunes. Is there any improvement in sound quality when touring on the freeway? I have a Hog Tune amp and front speakers but the freeway sound tends to be muffled.

Thanks

Old 10-01-2010, 01:07 PM
07FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have Hog Tunes amp, speakers & Hog Pod and the biggest factor in hearing the stereo @ freeway speeds was adding fairing lowers & fork baffle (added at the same time so don't know which helped most). If you don't already have it, I highly reccomend the Hog Pod!

Last edited by 07FLHT; 10-01-2010 at 01:09 PM.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:12 PM
FLS2FLH
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was pretty suprised at the fidelity difference after installing the LRS classic flip-up windshield. I'm running the stock HK, J&M speakers and no amp. I don't think the fork baffle does much - I had added that previously and it's effect was minimal. I think you have to be realistic in your expectations though - but you are certainly on improvement track!

Old 10-01-2010, 01:19 PM
pretz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I am running J&M's with no amp, changed the windshield to a 6" Windvest and the sound improved but nothing drastic. I do want to improve the tone but no sure in tweeters are needed or just an amp.

Old 10-01-2010, 01:22 PM
RodeDawg
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may already be using them but....foam ear plugs. It's counter-intuitive but it works.

Old 10-01-2010, 01:58 PM
hullhorr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by RodeDawg
You may already be using them but....foam ear plugs. It's counter-intuitive but it works.
I'm with RodeDawg There cheap and easy to install too!

Old 10-01-2010, 09:10 PM
Roadie09
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with the ear plug theory. I was using a half helmet and bought a Bell Custom 500 and can now hear the radio more clearly. It cuts out the wind noise and the sound waves still penetrate.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:26 AM
flhrbill
Club Member
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I would never had thought of that. I guess I can use that as a reason when the wife ask why am I putting in ear plugs.

Old 10-02-2010, 03:21 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Since I installed my WindVest recurve I can hear it a lot more clearly. Biggest different on how I hear mine and how you will hear yours... I wear a FF helmet.
I don't get anywhere near as much wind noise. Adjusting the visor up and down plays a major factor too.

That being said I have the stock stereo with a 40 watt amp. Nothing fancy no high dollar speakers. Just a question because I don't know do you have AVC set to suit your riding?

Old 10-02-2010, 03:46 PM
cvoultrahunter
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm on a 2010 SG and never bothered to put the radio on because I couldn't hear anythhing whatsoever. Changed out the stock wind screen for the new HD 7" with recurve and wasted $160 bucks. Installed the Klockwerks 8.5" Flare and it made a world of difference. Just about eliminated all the buffeting and I can hear the stock radio just fine now on the street or at highway speeds. Definately worth a shot.

Quick Reply: Wind buffeting and radio sound quality