Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FatCat 2-1 baffles

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 09:59 PM
pmcburne
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe living in northern Canada makes bikes quieter, but everyone i ride with said my bike was super quiet with the Q.B. I purchased that baffle because of info i got off this forum. Trust me when i say that my drag pipe days are way behind me, but this pipe with the Q.B. is super quiet. I'd like to change the baffle so I can at least hear the bike while I'm cruising.

Old 10-02-2010, 06:21 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
No, different pipe on the 07. That pipe was quiet compared to the Fat Cat for the 09+... I've had both and the 09 pipe with the "standard" baffle will blow your ears out. The wrapped baffle was only a tad bit quieter. Still friggin loud. The Concentric baffle is much quieter.

I imagine putting a more restrictive baffle in would not require a retune just as Jamie from Fuelmoto has stated. Least it did not on my bike.
The bike might have run a little richer but not enough to require a dyno run or retune. I'll go with what Jamie says...cause it makes sense.

lp
Change how much air goes in or out of the engine, you have to remap in order for it to run properly. Yes, your engine will run without remapping, but it won't run the same.

And if you think about it, that makes more sense. But all you have to do is a V-Tune run (or if the PC offers something similar) to verify this. I know what I saw when I compared maps. I'll believe my own eyes over someone who doesn't sell or recommend that particular pipe or tuner.

Last edited by '05Train; 10-02-2010 at 06:24 AM.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:36 AM
sporacer
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The tunes will be completely different between the concentric and the wraped performace baffle. I know this because I own both of them. The concentric baffle was designed for a stock 96 with a aircleaner only.
If fuel moto is telling you that you can switch without a retune. Good luck with that.

Old 10-02-2010, 06:54 AM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a huge difference between the Fatcat and the Fatcat Boss exhausts.

The Fatcat for the earlier bikes have louvered baffles, while the Fatcat Boss for the later model bikes have perforated baffles. The louvered baffles are much more mellow then the perforated baffles.

I've been running the louvered quiet baffle for the past 2 years and I love it, but now after 20000+ miles it's starting to get louder, so I'm guessing the packing needs to be replaced.

Steve

Old 10-02-2010, 07:03 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,807 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by sporacer
The tunes will be completely different between the concentric and the wraped performace baffle. I know this because I own both of them. The concentric baffle was designed for a stock 96 with a aircleaner only.
If fuel moto is telling you that you can switch without a retune. Good luck with that.
I too own-ed both of them and the differences were about nill. Butterfly flap at the end of the baffle...whoa.. big change. Time for a retune. No....

Thanks for the "luck" In my case I didn't need it.

lp

Old 10-02-2010, 07:10 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by '05Train
I'll believe my own eyes over someone who doesn't sell or recommend that particular pipe or tuner.
Thats funny. What about someone that does sell and recommend the pipe? D&D doesn't even "require" a tuner for the pipe with A/C.
S'plain me that. You believe them? lol Funny.

Point is, small incremental changes like a minor baffle change (on that pipe) don't require a total retune to keep the engine from running. To get back to "optimal"...sure, a retune would be in order but it's not NECESSARY.

In the case of the OP he may actually gain some low end and loose some noise.

I'll believe my own eyes and a guy who actually owns and run a dyno with near perfect feedback over some dude on the internet that doesn't even think an oil cooler is worthwhile... Just sayin.

lp

Old 10-02-2010, 07:23 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
Thats funny. What about someone that does sell and recommend the pipe? D&D doesn't even "require" a tuner for the pipe with A/C.
S'plain me that. You believe them? lol Funny.

Point is, small incremental changes like a minor baffle change (on that pipe) don't require a total retune to keep the engine from running. To get back to "optimal"...sure, a retune would be in order but it's not NECESSARY.
In other words, exactly what I said. The bike will run, just not properly. It's basic engines 101....Change the airflow and you need to change the fuel.

Originally Posted by lp
I'll believe my own eyes and a guy who actually owns and run a dyno with near perfect feedback over some dude on the internet that doesn't even think an oil cooler is worthwhile... Just sayin.
Funny, I made the same argument with the oil cooler. Not necessary for the bike to run, worthwhile if it makes you feel better about it.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:40 AM
sporacer
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
I too own-ed both of them and the differences were about nill. Butterfly flap at the end of the baffle...whoa.. big change. Time for a retune. No....

Thanks for the "luck" In my case I didn't need it.

lp
I think we are talking about different baffles. The concentric baffle designed for a 2010 touring has no butterfly flap. It is very restrictive and will work with no tuner and a aircleaner as described on the d&d website on a stock 96.
The wraped (perforated)performance baffle is a high flow baffle.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:41 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by '05Train
In other words, exactly what I said. The bike will run, just not properly. It's basic engines 101....Change the airflow and you need to change the fuel.

Funny, I made the same argument with the oil cooler. Not necessary for the bike to run, worthwhile if it makes you feel better about it.
He's changing the pipe to be more restrictive not flow more. He ends up with a rich tune not a lean one. Remember the more gas the cooler the engine will run. It's basic engines 101. Most pay to get a richer tune.... he's going to get one for frees.

Oil cooler...true. You did. lol. So in this case I'll take your point of view and say that I think the OP should send his bike off to an 'engine quality measurement' company and for 29 bucks get a report? lol Doesn't make sense does it. Maybe, just maybe... people should get oil coolers AND get a tune because its the right thing to do for your engine.

You and I are destined to do this forever... anyway, gots to ride. Have a good one.

lp

Old 10-02-2010, 07:49 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by sporacer
I think we are talking about different baffles. The concentric baffle designed for a 2010 touring has no butterfly flap. It is very restrictive and will work with no tuner and a aircleaner as described on the d&d website on a stock 96.
The wraped (perforated)performance baffle is a high flow baffle.
Yep, I digress. If that is the truth that's like the 4th friggin baffle those folks have put out! Hard to keep track of the changes. The last concentric quiet baffle I saw was not louvered, it was a mesh, wrapped, and with a flap. The standard quiet was the mesh, wrapped, with no flap. The standard 'performance' was just mesh.

Any who, I'm just going to shut up and leave you guys alone.
I never got that pipe dialed in and spent a fortune on baffles. Needless to say, I'm not a fan of 150 dollar replacement baffle experiments. I finally gave up.

Sorry to wreck your thread OP. Good luck.

lp

Quick Reply: FatCat 2-1 baffles